- - -
Eating Disorders
Zack de la Rocha Network Forum > the 'burbs > .:: Best and Worst... ::. > .:: "the hot seat" ::.
1, 2, 3, 4
ImperialAerosolKid
http://www.suntimes.com/output/zwecker/cst-ftr-zp23.html
Jingle
sad.gif

-J
rev79
Good. I love reading about rich people's hardships.
Jingle
Good. I love reading about rich people's hardships.

ermm.gif That's sad, man.

-J
DTA
laughing.gif laughing.gif
Casbah
i know, i hate hearing about all these rich folk's tough shit...some people just love this, and have so much sympathy for rich people, ive got nothing but complete anger and resentment for all of them
zapatista
Well.. to be honest, I feel for her. Eatting disorders are no joke.. being in the public eye all the time has to be really stressful... heck, when I was cheerleading I was ALOT more insecure about my weight then I am now.. just because then it was more public.. ya know.. resulted in a borderline eatting disorder.. so, but anyhoot.. hopefullly she'll get the help that she needs.
Casbah
i cant picture zap doing cheers decked with revolutionary propaganda on next to all the barbie lookalikes laughing.gif
Jingle
QUOTE (zapatista @ Jun 24 2004, 12:16 AM)
Well.. to be honest, I feel for her. Eatting disorders are no joke.. being in the public eye all the time has to be really stressful... heck, when I was cheerleading I was ALOT more insecure about my weight then I am now.. just because then it was more public.. ya know.. resulted in a borderline eatting disorder.. so, but anyhoot.. hopefullly she'll get the help that she needs.

yeah, i really hope she gets better. i don't like her, but eating disorders are serious problems. i hope she gets the help she needs! sad.gif

-J
ImperialAerosolKid
QUOTE (zapatista @ Jun 24 2004, 12:16 AM)

and you made fun of me for the che shirt???

glasshouse projectile alert! huh.gif

it does suck about eating disorders.
zapatista
QUOTE (Lpldbloom @ Jun 23 2004, 07:52 PM)

I did?
ImperialAerosolKid
QUOTE (zapatista @ Jun 24 2004, 04:57 AM)

I did?

during the che amp thread i admitted i had one and you gave a great response of...

"err..i don't have a che shirt. but anyhoot."

i remember! shifty.gif
insurrection
QUOTE (Lpldbloom @ Jun 24 2004, 09:03 AM)

I did?

during the che amp thread i admitted i had one and you gave a great response of...

i remember! shifty.gif

thats making fun? unsure.gif
DTA
laughing.gif
ImperialAerosolKid
QUOTE (insurrection @ Jun 29 2004, 06:17 AM)
QUOTE (Lpldbloom @ Jun 24 2004, 09:03 AM)

I did?

i remember! shifty.gif

thats making fun? unsure.gif

it put ME in my place!
zapatista

haha You know I was joking with ya.. there might have been need for a glasshouse projectile alert! with my statement.. but that was a long time ago.. see.. unsure.gif

wavenew.gif
DTA
wavenew.gif
Renegades
As for Mary-Kate Olsen, I don't give a shit about her getting anorexia. In fact, maybe after she's recovered she'll become a nicer person. Horrible diseases seem to have that effect on spoilt, ignorant, sheltered, right-winged rich little goodie goodie teen bitches every so often. I hate those sisters, they're enough to make me sick. I'm glad Mary-Kate has got something else to harp about now other than the lipstick stain on her new Gucci bag.
ImperialAerosolKid
QUOTE (zapatista @ Jun 29 2004, 02:51 PM)

haha You know I was joking with ya.. there might have been need for a glasshouse projectile alert! with my statement.. but that was a long time ago.. see.. unsure.gif

wavenew.gif

all beans are cool smile2.gif
ratmgirl
I feel bad for her. It must be super hard for her to be young and be living in the public eye all her life. There's so much pressure for those famous people to be twig thin. It's disgusting and for that I blame the media for me thinking i'm fat. I'd love to be as skinny as she is. Well, not really but as skinny as some poeple are on tv. Lately, the idea of food is just grossing me out. cry.gif
Intrepid_one

I may get slammed for this but people with eating disorders make me sick. It’s a selfish fucking disease rooted from shameless vanity, self loathing and megalomania. Look at all those people who are starving because they don't HAVE any food, are oppressed and living in filth without the basic necessities of life, with problems we can't even begin to conceive. There vertebra’s stick out of there backs because there is no food or water. Not because they want to look as pretty as Christina Agulara in her backless Prada number.
Manifest
clap2.gif
zapatista
QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 5 2004, 11:27 PM)
I may get slammed for this but people with eating disorders make me sick. It’s a selfish fucking disease rooted from shameless vanity, self loathing and megalomania. Look at all those people who are starving because they don't HAVE any food, are oppressed and living in filth without the basic necessities of life, with problems we can't even begin to conceive. There vertebra’s stick out of there backs because there is no food or water. Not because they want to look as pretty as Christina Agulara in her backless Prada number.

That's not what it's about at all.. get a freakin clue.
rev79

Right on!
Think about all the good healthy food that ends up in the garbage can because these prissies refuse to even touch it, while in other parts of the world you got people digging in dumpsters for a peach pit, for christ sake! They fear their weight might vault from 75 to 80 lbs., all the while fussing in the mirror that they're FAT.
insurrection
this is pretty insensitive... its not only their fault that they get anorexia. they are being influenced by tv, probably peer and job pressure also. although i guess it is in part their fault for not realizing how stupid it is.
ImperialAerosolKid
QUOTE (zapatista @ Jul 6 2004, 05:18 AM)

being the token male purger i have to agree
Sara
QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 6 2004, 04:27 PM)
It’s a selfish fucking disease rooted from shameless vanity, self loathing and megalomania.

No. smile.gif

before you guys make such ignorant observations about disorders, i suggest you read up on it, from credible pscyhology journals or books, or even first year psych text books.

i am really surprised to read this comment coming from you. everything else you said in every other topic always reflected how knowledgble you are. ermm.gif

Intrepid_one
I fully expected this. I'm not ignorant, this is just my opinion, please try to respect that. I'm allowed that....i think. I may have been a little harsh, and granted my rant was not exactly packed with factual or medical information, but it’s the way I feel about where the disease is rooted from. Blame the media, blame TV, blame Gwyenith Paltrow...the fact is i have little sympathy.

I do see your point i suppose i should read up on it a little more carefully before I pass such judgment, but the fact is i feel the same way about people who overeat.
Intrepid_one
QUOTE (zapatista @ Jul 6 2004, 05:18 AM)

then why don't you explain to me your OPINION (and thats all it is to me) what its all about.
Rain
Just this: diseases aren't a vanity. People who are ill one way or another should not be blamed for it.
Sara
QUOTE (Nishtha @ Jul 6 2004, 10:19 PM)
Just this: diseases aren't a vanity. People who are ill one way or another should not be blamed for it.

that is one crucial point. it is not a vanity.

I do see your point i suppose i should read up on it a little more carefully before I pass such judgment
yeah you should. After reading up on it, from credible sources, please tell me what you think. and if your opinion hasnt changed, i see your opinion and lack of sympathy for them no different from those who have no sympathy for people starving in places like africa. after all, it's all opinions, no? unsure.gif

there are sociocultural factors that may contribute to the development of this disorder. it is not as simple as blaming the media or the tv, but the truth is, we are only human, and we do get influenced by what we see and hear daily. the pressure to be thin falls heavily on us, and dieting is almost the norm. youn girls that diet are at a higher risk of developing aneroxia than those who dont. of course that pressure is not the only factor, because not all of us are suffering from it, so there are other factors involved. the obesession of being so thin really just reflects lack of control in other aspects in their lives. a lot of those aneroxic girls come from families that are very strict with rigid house rules, and by straving themselves, that is one way of expressing control over their bodies and themselves. some family theorists suggest that children that refuse to eat like that are punishing their parents for alienating them at home. many many more possible factors are involved by the way, this is just a sample.

also, people that suffer aneroxia may also have depression and anxiety. do you judge people with depression and anxiety the same way you judge aneroxics?

i cannot believe that in this day and age, some still have hostile views towards people with psychological disorders. ermm.gif

oh and rev79, when they complain about being fat, it's because they have a distorted self image. they actually see themselves a lot fuller than what they are. if you ask an aneroxic girl to point to what body shape on a chart best represents her, she'll pick the fuller one. they truely have a distorted image.
You are not a slave.
I bet they don't have anorexia in Etheopia.
Sara
QUOTE (You are not a slave. @ Jul 7 2004, 12:08 AM)

no they dont. they have depression, anxiety, dissociative disorders and other psychological illnesses thu. does it make a difference? eating disorders are psychological disorders.
Jingle
Thank you, Sarah, thank you...

This shit people are saying about anorexics is beyond ignorance -- it's pure fucking malice and it makes me seriously sick inside to know that there are people who think like that. I'm not going to say "fuck you, you ignorant slime" but i am going to ask you to really think about what you've said (those of you who have torn apart every single person who is either rich, anorexic, or rich and anorexic; i am neither or which, by the way) -- but you have no clue of what anorexia does to your mind, body, spirit -- heart. You have absolutely no comprehension of how very very horrible of a disease it is...if you are going to hate somebody, hate the the system for telling people what beauty is. Hate those modeling agencies who have lead to the starving, agonizing deaths of so many beautiful beautiful people. Have a heart, they are human beings, saying otherwise makes me think that you have become an unemotional creature, therefore, another product of the machine. Really, what you say is terribly malicious -- terribly sad.gif

-J cry.gif
ImperialAerosolKid
QUOTE (You are not a slave. @ Jul 6 2004, 12:08 PM)

no they just make their women do a variety of piercings to mark them as property.
ratmgirl
Thank you J!!!
You said exacly what I was thinking. clap2.gif
Intrepid_one
OK first of all i am not ignorant, I happen to be an extremely intelligent, compassionate and vigilant person. I thought this was a place where people believed in been able to express there opinion freely. if you disagree that is fine, i respect you and your opinion, but name calling does not get your point across to me.

Blaming "socio-cultural factors" and "the system for telling them what beauty is supposed to be" is ridiculous. Maybe I approach this topic with an air of cynicism, but it’s only because it just goes to show how much the media controls EVERY aspect of your lives. PEOPLE ARE SHEEP. That’s a fact. If I have less sympathy for the damn Olsen twins then I’m sorry, but there are bigger fish to fry, bigger fights to fight.

You guys are great at twisting peoples words around and creating a "spin". Your like little mini PR firms in your own right. I do not lack sympathy for people with phycological problems or people starving in Africa. Just the Olsen twins.

I'm done with this now.

ImperialAerosolKid
QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 6 2004, 07:50 PM)
OK first of all i am not ignorant, I happen to be an extremely intelligent, compassionate and vigilant person. I thought this was a place where people believed in been able to express there opinion freely. if you disagree that is fine, i respect you and your opinion, but name calling does not get your point across to me.

Blaming "socio-cultural factors" and "the system for telling them what beauty is supposed to be" is ridiculous. Maybe I approach this topic with an air of cynicism, but it’s only because it just goes to show how much the media controls EVERY aspect of your lives. PEOPLE ARE SHEEP. That’s a fact. If I have less sympathy for the damn Olsen twins then I’m sorry, but there are bigger fish to fry, bigger fights to fight.

You guys are great at twisting peoples words around and creating a "spin". Your like little mini PR firms in your own right. I do not lack sympathy for people with phycological problems or people starving in Africa. Just the Olsen twins.

I'm done with this now.

i just dont understand how we cant have some concern for the rich.

what if zack were anorexic??
we'd be sending him pot brownies to stimulate his appetite and he's kinda rich.
Intrepid_one
I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE RICH! what are you talking about? Stop taking my my answers out of content.
ImperialAerosolKid
QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 6 2004, 08:03 PM)
I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE RICH! what are you talking about? Stop taking my my answers out of content.

ok...

but dont you think that even tho the olsens are spoiled shits who deserve some pain that anorexia and bulimia on this level are not fairly compared to being concerned for the poor. we can see the effect it has had on our generation. and most importantly it is necessary to compare this to Magic Johnson testing positive. Magic doesn't get my sympathy for being a sex fiend. But I hope he gets better. And I care to see how he's doing.
zapatista
QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 6 2004, 02:50 PM)

You are free to have your opinion and that is fine.. but yours is just that... an opinion.. and not even one based on fact as Sarah's is. I think you are missing the bigger issue here that Sarah and others are trying to get across, this has nothing to do with the Olsen twins.. none of us really give a shit about them, but this coming to the front of media attention sheads light on a epidemic that is happening now.. 3 year olds already concerned with body image.. it's sick.. have you ever heard a 3 year old say they need to diet and mean it? It's sick.. and it needs to be addressed.. if you can't understand that, I dunno what compassion you have that you speak of. It is a MENTAL illness and should be treated as such.
ImperialAerosolKid
QUOTE (zapatista @ Jul 6 2004, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 6 2004, 02:50 PM)

You are free to have your opinion and that is fine.. but yours is just that... an opinion.. and not even one based on fact as Sarah's is. I think you are missing the bigger issue here that Sarah and others are trying to get across, this has nothing to do with the Olsen twins.. none of us really give a shit about them, but this coming to the front of media attention sheads light on a epidemic that is happening now.. 3 year olds already concerned with body image.. it's sick.. have you ever heard a 3 year old say they need to diet and mean it? It's sick.. and it needs to be addressed.. if you can't understand that, I dunno what compassion you have that you speak of. It is a MENTAL illness and should be treated as such.

well said...
Sara
QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 7 2004, 07:50 AM)
Blaming "socio-cultural factors" and "the system for telling them what beauty is supposed to be" is ridiculous.

it's not blame, it's causes and reasons. that is radiculous? these observations are made by psychologists and theorists that worked with anorexics and people with eating disorders. unlike your cynical opinion, theirs is formed based on studies and actual work with those people. what's radiculous is you dismissing these studies and aiming your anger at the wrong target. angry at the media so you snap at people with eating disorders, super.

this is not bout the olsen twins, your opinion -->
but people with eating disorders make me sick. It’s a selfish fucking disease rooted from shameless vanity, self loathing and megalomania.
is clearly of anyone with an eating disorder. "people" you said, not the olsen twins. that^^ is very cruel ermm.gif and come to think, im not sure it makes much difference if you said that about the olsen twins. unsure.gif

its not that you are not entitled to your opinion, of course not, and you know that this debate is not about that. it is just a bit shocking to see that people feel so strongly about something without even researching it.
Casbah
i like sandwhiches
ImperialAerosolKid
QUOTE (casbah rebel @ Jul 7 2004, 02:55 AM)
i like sandwhiches

when homer's golfing and sees his club for the sand...

"mmm... an open faced sand-wedge"
Casbah
drool.gif laughing.gif cool.gif
ImperialAerosolKid
we're so funny littlejeans!!! laugh.gif
Casbah
laughing.gif someone is sooo gonna take this the wrong way man
rev79
QUOTE (Sarah @ Jul 6 2004, 02:20 AM)

before you guys make such ignorant observations

huh.gif I sincerely hope you weren't referring to me.
ley-adam.99
I know I've come a bit late into this heated debate but I wanna just say that I have studied psychology and that Sarah's comments were definately reflective of what I have learned.

Without trying to go to much into psychology, yes anorexics do have a distorted image of themselves. If you talk to any anorexic person they will tell you they are fat.

The idea of anorexia being a means to gain conrtol of themselves when living in a strict family is far from the idea of megalomania you talked about, rev. I think having control over your own life isn't too much to ask.

No one is challenging your right to have an opinion, from what I can see, what they are challenging your opinion itself. By doing so they are trying to allow you to understand a topic that you saifd you hardly know naything about, so you can develop a more informed opinion.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.