Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Dilemma Of Up-to-date Pcs
Zack de la Rocha Network Forum > the 'burbs > .:: Commons of Culture ::. > the monkey bars > Guerrilla Gamers
rev79
Bought my computer in '02 with everything new and have since upgraded as needed. Great and all, but one of the drawbacks has been the trouble of attempting to play some of those great DOS and early Windows games. Its been so bad, I've thought about buying an early 90's used shitbox just for the sole purpose of playing these games. So my question is(since Win XP does not use DOS)- do any of you use DosBox? It seems that different games can take different methods to get functioning. One game in particular I'm having trouble with right now is Betrayal at Krondor(Sierra, 1993). Does anyone have a clue of how to get this running with or without DosBox on XP?
Casbah
i used to work in an electronics shop/cable and wiring manufacturing shop a little while back...well one day we aqquired several early to mid 90's pc's and while me and one of the managers were going through what all was still stored on them, we came across one that was just loaded with old DOS and shareware games... but damn, if i knew you were this into these games then i would have bought it off the shop and sent it to you, it wouldnt have costed me much either, maybe 10 bucks laugh.gif

edit:spelling
Holter
shit no wonder I havent been able to play bust-a-move on my pc. I was wondering what the hell was going on. Fucking XP has done more harm than good for me.
rev79
^I tell ya, its damn frustrating..I've gotten many of the old games to work that I wanted(after long hours of tinkering), but just as many won't! You'd think after spending almost 4 G's on a comp. system you could conquer the world and stuff.

laugh.gif
You are not a slave.
QUOTE (rev79 @ Jun 11 2004, 08:36 AM)
^I tell ya, its damn frustrating..I've gotten many of the old games to work that I wanted(after long hours of tinkering), but just as many won't! You'd think after spending almost 4 G's on a comp. system you could conquer the world and stuff.

laugh.gif

scratch.gif

4!? You're crazy.
Holter
yeah well i dont play too many games really, but i have this old game that runs on DOS and when i upgraded to XP after a while i tried to play the game and it crashed my pc. It had been a while since i upgraded to XP so i didnt put the two together. Half of my shit on my PC didnt work when i upgraded, i had to reinstall so much stuff.
insurrection
well if you can get your hands on a copy of windows 95 or windows 98 and set up a dual boot with XP (or just use 95/98) then you might have a better chance of getting some of those games to work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.