Shifty
post Feb 14 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #1

Junior Activist

Group: Activist
Member No.: 5,327

"So now I’m rollin’ down rodeo wit a
Shot gun.. "

Does Zack think that class war is a good thing? Does he think that if the poor killed the rich it would change society for the best?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Callum
post May 23 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #2

Activist

Member No.: 5,858

QUOTE(Shifty @ Feb 14 2007, 09:19 AM) [snapback]202943[/snapback]
"So now I’m rollin’ down rodeo wit a
Shot gun.. "

Does Zack think that class war is a good thing? Does he think that if the poor killed the rich it would change society for the best?

Not neccessarily saying we should go kill them but maybe just saying how he thinks its wrong and something needs to be done about these rich little ****s?

--------------------

+Quote Post
duby
post May 23 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #3

Guerrilla

Member No.: 5,366

This little firey topic has given birth once more. I think shifty already knows wht I think. I Think???

It's tricky to answer but I do feel that zack is saying something along the lines of lets turn this whole situation around. What if we gave the poor/dark skined man (arm the homeless, afro-american man) with a shotty and have him walk the streets of rodeo drive and shake em up a little. Maybe it's a little more like a 'WHAT IF?'

This stuff is really up to interpretation of the listner. But when I saw RAGE in coachella, Zack held a shotgungrip and simulated firning into the audience during 'Down Rodeo.' It was a mad little display topped with his fury and passion. He really does make his point and I can see where people may get the idea that he's saying grip ya 12gauge and let lets go take back the power. But this is all within the heat of the moment. Zacks performance is his release of tension and anger towards the machine. And so is the mosh for all the RATM fans.
But he's also trying to get us to think. And that's why it's great that we are all here discussing this fiery topic.

P E A C E

--------------------
DUBY ON MYSPACE > http://www.myspace.com/duby1984

Activist Noam Chomsky argues that “Mumia's case is symbolic of something much broader...The US prison system is simply class and race war...Mumia and other prisoners are the kind of people that get assassinated by what's called 'social cleansing' in US client states like Colombia.”

How Long? Not Long! Cause what you reap, is what what you sow!
WAKE UP!

+Quote Post
MunKy321
post Jun 5 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #4

Activist

Member No.: 5,289

When I first heard this song, I thought it was aiming at the southern states, due to slavery. It made perfect sense to me then. When I heard it was about Rodeo Drive, I got confused, like he was saying there are no dark skinned rich people, I still am pretty confused anyway. Maybe he is just refering to how really rich people react to him when he shows up at Rodeo Drive. I don't know I haven't been there, and I am pretty curiouse..........

+Quote Post
duby
post Jun 6 2007, 04:07 AM
Post #5

Guerrilla

QUOTE(MunKy321 @ Jun 6 2007, 05:22 AM) [snapback]207942[/snapback]
When I first heard this song, I thought it was aiming at the southern states, due to slavery. It made perfect sense to me then. When I heard it was about Rodeo Drive, I got confused, like he was saying there are no dark skinned rich people, I still am pretty confused anyway. Maybe he is just refering to how really rich people react to him when he shows up at Rodeo Drive. I don't know I haven't been there, and I am pretty curiouse..........

I think the songs more or less saying that the wealthly upper class majority that are found with the famous 'Rodeo Drive' of Hollywood would be shocked and hysterical if they were approached by a black man grippin a shotgun - a man of a lower class majority stereotype

RAGE is basically expressing the point that nothing has changed since the days of Black slavery within America. In particular Rodeo Drive, being a prime example of a secure community of a majority of rich white people where if a lower class black person arrived on the scene with a shotgun in hand then the people would freak.... (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG)

^ That is the general concesus on the track I think.

But..... I've always seen RODEO DRIVE as an outlet of RAGE. Where Zack's saying that he's now "rolling down rodeo with a shotgun..."

Maybe he's also generallising the common misinterpretation that ZACK is labeled a black-afican. We all know he's part mexicano but I have heard many people misinterpret that he is black skinned - african american????

Zack doesn't hold alot of respect towards the Rich white communities that controll and dominated global economies. RODEO DRIVE being a prime example of a grounds for that particular community base. Not saying that he would see himself going on some massive rampage on RODEO DRIVE. But he's making a point that he himself with gun in grip would definently shake up the community of Rodeo far more than very opposite and dingy Ghettos within LA. So very close, yet so much contrast between the communities of people based on - class/and colours of skin.

and I quote in ref to the above. "EUROPE AIN'T MY ROPE TO SWING ON"

I know that I have gone on a slight tangent but I feel that it's all relevant towards RATM lyrics and ideals in general...

Please give me your insight into this topic. I feel it should be discussed. I also feel that some people don't fully understand what Zack's lyrics and Angst is always directed at.
So speak up and be heard, theres no point being a fence sitter. Lets discuss this shit...

This post has been edited by duby: Jun 6 2007, 04:15 AM

--------------------

Activist Noam Chomsky argues that “Mumia's case is symbolic of something much broader...The US prison system is simply class and race war...Mumia and other prisoners are the kind of people that get assassinated by what's called 'social cleansing' in US client states like Colombia.”

WAKE UP!

+Quote Post
MunKy321
post Jun 6 2007, 05:04 AM
Post #6

Activist

QUOTE(duby @ Jun 6 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]207965[/snapback]

I think the songs more or less saying that the wealthly upper class majority that are found with the famous 'Rodeo Drive' of Hollywood would be shocked and hysterical if they were approached by a black man grippin a shotgun - a man of a lower class majority stereotype

RAGE is basically expressing the point that nothing has changed since the days of Black slavery within America. In particular Rodeo Drive, being a prime example of a secure community of a majority of rich white people where if a lower class black person arrived on the scene with a shotgun in hand then the people would freak.... (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG)

But..... I've always seen RODEO DRIVE as an outlet of RAGE. Where Zack's saying that he's now "rolling down rodeo with a shotgun..."

Maybe he's also generallising the common misinterpretation that ZACK is labeled a black-afican. We all know he's part mexicano but I have heard many people misinterpret that he is black skinned - african american????

Zack doesn't hold alot of respect towards the Rich white communities that controll and dominated global economies. RODEO DRIVE being a prime example of a grounds for that particular community base. Not saying that he would see himself going on some massive rampage on RODEO DRIVE. But he's making a point that he himself with gun in grip would definently shake up the community of Rodeo far more than very opposite and dingy Ghettos within LA. So very close, yet so much contrast between the communities of people based on - class/and colours of skin.

I know that I have gone on a slight tangent but I feel that it's all relevant towards RATM lyrics and ideals in general...

Please give me your insight into this topic. I feel it should be discussed. I also feel that some people don't fully understand what Zack's lyrics and Angst is always directed at.
So speak up and be heard, theres no point being a fence sitter. Lets discuss this shit...

I don't know much about Rodeo Drive, but if only rich WHITE people are found there, then hell yeah they would freak out to find a black man there. JUST a black man would freak them out. A black man with a shotgun? That's easy to imagine.

If Rodeo Drive is really a 'white only' area, then I would change "shotgun" with "grenades" or "molotovs" in the lyrics, if you get my point. A place like that should be destroyed because it involves both race separation and class separation. It's disgusting to see places like that still exist, but they always will, and those kind of things motivate us to gettying rid of them and making this world a better place.

+Quote Post
duby
post Jun 7 2007, 08:33 AM
Post #7

Guerrilla

QUOTE(MunKy321 @ Jun 6 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]207969[/snapback]

I don't know much about Rodeo Drive, but if only rich WHITE people are found there, then hell yeah they would freak out to find a black man there. JUST a black man would freak them out. A black man with a shotgun? That's easy to imagine.

If Rodeo Drive is really a 'white only' area, then I would change "shotgun" with "grenades" or "molotovs" in the lyrics, if you get my point. A place like that should be destroyed because it involves both race separation and class separation. It's disgusting to see places like that still exist, but they always will, and those kind of things motivate us to gettying rid of them and making this world a better place.

Yo dude that's pretty extreme.

Well yeah It is a place where a majority of only ultra rich hang and run their business. Eg. The nike shop etc.
The thing is. It's a place where everyday people go too. It's actually a famous tourist atraction. Honestly I don't know why???

Well, I actually visited when I went to coachella in april. But it was on the LA tour. I though it was pretty lame. My mate from Brissy OZ, got given shit for being dressed in thongs (flip flops - them shoe things), shorts and a singlet... laughing.gif
In Australia that pretty common. But I guess it a point to prove the fact that the people of Rodeo would make a point to single out some one for being different and not conforming or at least being a part of their upper class trends.

All I'm saying with this track is that I rekon these people would be shaken up if the 'rodeo drive' activity actually became present.

A real 'shake em up'!!!!

--------------------

WAKE UP!

+Quote Post
MunKy321
post Jun 7 2007, 08:47 AM
Post #8

Activist

QUOTE(duby @ Jun 7 2007, 07:33 PM) [snapback]208031[/snapback]
QUOTE(MunKy321 @ Jun 6 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]207969[/snapback]

Yo dude that's pretty extreme.

Well yeah It is a place where a majority of only ultra rich hang and run their business. Eg. The nike shop etc.
The thing is. It's a place where everyday people go too. It's actually a famous tourist atraction. Honestly I don't know why???

Well, I actually visited when I went to coachella in april. But it was on the LA tour. I though it was pretty lame. My mate from Brissy OZ, got given shit for being dressed in thongs (flip flops - them shoe things), shorts and a singlet... laughing.gif
In Australia that pretty common. But I guess it a point to prove the fact that the people of Rodeo would make a point to single out some one for being different and not conforming or at least being a part of their upper class trends.

All I'm saying with this track is that I rekon these people would be shaken up if the 'rodeo drive' activity actually became present.

A real 'shake em up'!!!!

Tourists probably go there in hope to cach one of Paris Hiltons or Linsay Lohan's explicit content moments! laugh.gif OK, OK I'm kidding! laughing.gif

But being sinled out sucks man. I hope that the shit your mate was given wasn't really smelly drippy and green. laugh.gif Happens to me in Ukraine alot. But sometimes it's nice not to be like everyone else. Makes me feel special! grin.gif Not if you're given shit for being like that though!

I can imagine how much that place sucks man. Too many places like that in the Ukraine. I think they NEED to be shaken up if you know what I mean.... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Shifty
post Jun 7 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #9

Junior Activist

Member No.: 5,327

Lets focus not only on the chorus. What do you think about these verses:

"Tha pen devils set that stage for tha
War at home
Locked wit out a wage ya standin’ in tha drop
Zone..."

"In tha ruins there’s a network for tha toxic
Rock
Shool yard ta precinct, suburb ta
Project block
Bosses broke south for new flesh and
A factory floor
The remains left chained to the
Powder war"

"So make a move an plead the fifth ’cuse ya
Can’t plead the first"

''Our target straight wit a room full of armed
Pawn to
Off tha kings out tha west side at dawn''

''The rungs torn from the ladder can’t reach the
Tumor
One god, one market, one truth, one consumer''

''Just a quiet peaceful dance
For things we will never have''

+Quote Post
Rob
post Jun 17 2007, 07:21 AM
Post #10

Junior Activist

Member No.: 5,945

Chorus alone,

I don't know how you guys see it, but too me i see a person of coloured skin walking down Rodeo Drive wielding a shotgun whilst all the rich look at him and give him dirty looks, perhaps for having a weapon or perhaps for being coloured. And because there rich, and there ancestors would be rich they would have been the sort of people who would buy black slaves. But not today, because of course, slavery is abolished..

This post has been edited by Rob: Jun 17 2007, 07:27 AM

--------------------
Land..Or Liberty.

+Quote Post
Raspute 2
post Jun 29 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #11

Activist

Member No.: 5,925

I doubt that the lyrics were written to be taken literally, just like "fuck you, I won't do what you tell me" isn't about having sex with someone who doesn't want to.

--------------------
"We who have a voice should speak for the voiceless"
-Oscar Romero

+Quote Post
see-ann de la ka...
post Aug 16 2007, 09:22 AM
Post #12

Junior Activist

Member No.: 6,011

QUOTE(Raspute 2 @ Jun 29 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]208363[/snapback]
I doubt that the lyrics were written to be taken literally, just like "fuck you, I won't do what you tell me" isn't about having sex with someone who doesn't want to.

dude, thats hillarios

--------------------
imprisoned but too dazed and confused to realize it-those stars and stripes that are america

+Quote Post
duby
post Aug 26 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #13

Guerrilla

QUOTE(Rob @ Jun 17 2007, 11:21 PM) [snapback]208236[/snapback]
Chorus alone,

I don't know how you guys see it, but too me i see a person of coloured skin walking down Rodeo Drive wielding a shotgun whilst all the rich look at him and give him dirty looks, perhaps for having a weapon or perhaps for being coloured. And because there rich, and there ancestors would be rich they would have been the sort of people who would buy black slaves. But not today, because of course, slavery is abolished..

Good point. Because I think all or most RAtm lyrics are up for different interpretation.

Hey one thing that strengthens the idea that RATM have a militant edge is the recent RTB's Wake up speech where zack refers to us as a people working together to fight the powers that controll us. "it's gonna take a lot of jail time and maybe even a little death"

What do ya make of this?

Death as in fighting a revolution and losing soldiers in battle.... Or Assination of the one that speak out against facists governments....

--------------------

WAKE UP!

+Quote Post
see-ann de la ka...
post Sep 8 2007, 09:43 AM
Post #14

Junior Activist

Member No.: 6,011

QUOTE(duby @ Aug 26 2007, 04:04 AM) [snapback]209311[/snapback]
QUOTE(Rob @ Jun 17 2007, 11:21 PM) [snapback]208236[/snapback]
Chorus alone,

Good point. Because I think all or most RAtm lyrics are up for different interpretation.

Hey one thing that strengthens the idea that RATM have a militant edge is the recent RTB's Wake up speech where zack refers to us as a people working together to fight the powers that controll us. "it's gonna take a lot of jail time and maybe even a little death"

What do ya make of this?

Death as in fighting a revolution and losing soldiers in battle.... Or Assination of the one that speak out against facists governments....

i think its definitly being assasinated or beaten or bruised or what ever. because he said "even a little death" not even a little killing. but we should definitly expect it and accept that there is a risk of dying, just as any movement that ever meant anything.

--------------------
imprisoned but too dazed and confused to realize it-those stars and stripes that are america

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2020 - 09:49 AM