Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ¡Zapatista!, UPDATED 6.29.05!
zapatista
post Jan 1 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #16

är du också likgiltig?

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 188

I'm not sure about the exact incedent that you are talking about.. but it's not really anything new to hear about stuff like that... there have been many travel warnings to foreign tourists.. since the rebellion.. about traveling to Chiapas.

Rebel Forces Threaten Tourism in Mexican State
Zapatista rebels are taking measures toward running out foreign tourists.

by LISA MATTE

ZAPATISTA REBELS IN MEXICO’S CHIAPAS STATE ARE THREATENING TO SEIZE A RANCH AND GUEST HOUSE OWNED BY U.S. CITIZENS. The rebels are also taking measures aimed at running tourists out of the region. The conflict stems from the rebel group's stance against foreign investment and ventures associated with eco-tourism.
In recent weeks, Zapatista sympathizers have detained and threatened a group of French and Canadian kayakers on a jungle river and blocked access to Rancho Esmeralda, the U.S.-owned ranch and guesthouse.
On Jan. 31, the U.S. State Dept. issued a warning citing "disturbing incidents involving violence and threats of violence against foreigners and establishments catering to foreign tourists in remote areas. In many parts of Chiapas, there is no effective law enforcement or police protection. The State Dept. advises U.S. citizens to avoid traveling in the areas where disputes are known to be ongoing, including rural areas east of Ocosingo, and the entire southeastern jungle portion of the State to the east of Comitan. For detailed information, visit http://travel.state.gov

--------------------
Hey we got the PMA. Hey we got the PMA.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
defiance
post Jan 1 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #17

mind of a revolutionary

Group: Activist
Member No.: 1,117

I didn't read it, someone else told it to me, but she said they supported the movement and were there to help, but they weren't wanted by the zapatistas. Is there some kind anti foreign aid policy, or maybe it was a mistake? She couldn't remember where she read it, but they did apparently get there, (I might be wrong) and they weren't well recieved, or at least that's what she said.

Also, are you in anyway involved in the zapatista movement? Just curious.

+Quote Post
ImperialAerosolK...
post Jan 2 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #18

Freedom Advocate

Member No.: 483

Most Americans there were kicked out by the CIA. I volunteered for helping out there in 97 and was advised not to go with dreadlocks. zmat2.gif

+Quote Post
zapatista
post Jan 2 2004, 01:36 AM
Post #19

är du också likgiltig?

^^^There is truth to that.. but you would be well advised by locals not to come wearing zapatista clothing or anything like that. Your not going to walk right up to them and just start helping out.. it doesn't work that way.

and this has to be the story that your friend was talking about defiance. Sounds like she might have gotten some facts mixed up.

Also, are you in anyway involved in the zapatista movement? Just curious.

nope, but i was born in oaxaca a state which borders chiapas.. and have have supported the movement.. but, no.. besides moral support.. i am in no way involved with the zapatista movement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Orwell
post Jan 2 2004, 04:15 AM
Post #20

Young'un

Member No.: 1,239

Have there actually been any incidents of Americans or other foriegners that have gone to help, and have actually been accepted by the Zapatistas?

--------------------
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past. - George Orwell

+Quote Post
ImperialAerosolK...
post Jan 2 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #21

Freedom Advocate

Member No.: 483

Two friends of mine were there between 95 and 96 and they were treated very well.
My friend wrote a book but it was confiscated by the CIA. mad.gif

+Quote Post
stephie
post Jan 2 2004, 08:33 AM
Post #22

stephie

Member No.: 1,315

The Zapatista movement was established on January 1rst, 1994.
It is the EZLN (Ejerico Zapatista de Liberation Nationale). The have a saying and it goes: EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE AND NOTHING FOR OURSELVES.

It's good that there are some people who struggle against that unjust government.
The Zapatistas are indigenous farmers of Southern Mexico and they struggle for DEMOCRACY, JUSTICE and LIBERTY.

--------------------
rebel rebel and yell
coz our people still dwell in hell

to the young r to the e the b to the e the l
never give up just live up

+Quote Post
zapatista
post Jan 2 2004, 02:44 PM
Post #23

är du också likgiltig?

^^Actually the Zapatista's were established Nov. 17, 1983.. just so we keep the facts straight to the best of my ability.. Jan. 1, 1994 is the date of the uprising.

--------------------

+Quote Post
defiance
post Jan 2 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #24

mind of a revolutionary

Member No.: 1,117

Thank you Zapatista, she said that was the right one (she was pretty sure.) also, just to make sure,(forgive my ignorance, I haven't actually read a whole lot about the movement) are they trying to overthrow the government, or are they fighting for independence?

+Quote Post
zapatista
post Jan 3 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #25

är du också likgiltig?

laugh.gif

OMG! i just got this.. laughing.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turd Ferguson
post Jan 3 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #26

bite me, it's fun

Member No.: 226

That's just too cute!!! laugh.gif

heh heh heh...reminds me of someone cool.gif

--------------------
I'd still hit it!!
user posted image

+Quote Post
zapatista
post Jan 3 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #27

är du också likgiltig?

^^ yea yea.. i wonder who was cool enough to send me that??? hmm.gif

wink.gif

grin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
regilas
post Jan 4 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #28

Writer

Member No.: 929

Who?

--------------------
A world this evil should be black, blind, and deaf, and without any feelings at all. Then there won't be any color to be seen, no hatred to be heard, and no pain to be felt.
- Anne Moody.

The simplest man or woman with passion will be more persuasive than the most eloquent without.
- Descartes

+Quote Post
Turd Ferguson
post Jan 4 2004, 09:44 AM
Post #29

bite me, it's fun

Member No.: 226

QUOTE (regilas @ Jan 4 2004, 09:54 AM)
Who?

roflmao.gif

rofl1.gif

--------------------
I'd still hit it!!
user posted image

+Quote Post
stephie
post Jan 4 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #30

stephie

Member No.: 1,315

Everything for everyone, and nothing for ourselves!

This was the rally cry heard worldwide as rebels of EZLN (Ejército Zapatista de Liberación Nacional or Zapatista Army of National Liberation). January 1st 1994 was the date, the same day as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was put in effect. One that day the people of Chiapas and others in Mexico said they where tired of the treatment of the indigenous people and the mistreatment of the people in general. This is the statement given by the EZLN in it’s Declaration of the Lacandon Jungle, 1993 “We have nothing to lose, absolutely nothing, no decent roof over our heads, no land, no work, poor health, no food, no education, no right to freely and democratically choose our leaders, no independence from foreign interests, and no justice for ourselves or our children. But we say enough is enough! ….”

While this was the official start of the war, there is speculation it may have started in March of 1993. It was on then that the bodies of two federal officers where found 15 miles south of San Cristobal. Is thought that they may have stumbled upon a rebel training camp. Later a full scale free-fire was fought in a training area made to resemble one of the cities later involved in the official start of the revolution. The adding fighting was stopped when Cardinal Juan Jesus Posadas Ocampo was assassinated in an airport in Guadalajara by druglords. This caused Federal troops to focus on other areas. The ELZN dined the events where committed by them. The Federal Government produced documents saying that the events did occur, but I would not lend too much faith to the merit of those reports. It would be easy and beneficial for the government to use this to cast a dark shadow on the EZLN.

Who are the rebels?

The people of Chiapas that started this revolution are almost all poor peasants, who for years had been pushed of lands, and not given the excess to things enjoyed by the elite’s. These things are food, water, education, power, and a voice in government. The EZLN really started with two main groups. The first was those who followed Bishop Samuel Ruiz, of the Dioceses of San Christobal de la Casas. The Roman Catholic Church has a large following in Mexico, and the church itself has often been said to be apart of the revolution itself. Ruiz has never advocated any type of armed struggle, but only one of peace and prayer. Then in the Late 1970’s Ruiz came into contact with the group of mostly young Marxist, fleeing security forces. These young Marxist are the group that effetely became the armed wing of the EZLN. The official EZLN was set up in 1983, as a coalition of the two groups . Both groups generally agreed on what changes where needed, and the Marxist ideals generally fit into the Churches views, but soon the Marxist felt more and more that a call to arms was the only way to get change. The two groups split but felt an extreme closeness to each group.

The Roots of this revolution are found deep in Mexican History, and in a revolution followed almost religiously by the EZLN, that of Emiliano Zapata in 1910. In fact these are the words quoted to describe the start of the revolution in 1909. Change the date and they fit exactly. “In 1909 there came a humble man from Morelos, in the south of Mexico, to declare the grievances of his fellow peasants. This man was named Emiliano Zapata. His powerful, direct, yet dreamy gaze affected all who saw him." The old bureaucracy remained, the haciendas were untouched, the peasants did not recover their lands, and the army was there, ready to repress them if they tried. Peasant groups began to invade rural townships. Street battles between trade unions and police occurred. As instability grew, so did anxiety in the United States. Business was fearful, and finally, the streets of Mexico City became a battleground. The tiger was out of control." In this revolution the poor peasants of South Mexico moved on the government that was trading their lands to rich landowners, and building itself up at the expense of the masses. His revolution failed after he was killed while in a ambush that was suppose to be a meeting with government troops who where going to side with him. As of today (December 2000) the future of this revolution look to have a better future, as I will discuss later.

Not long after the attempted revolution of Zapata, PRI was set up in 1929. This party was an official party, and held power until the year 2000. Under the PRI the people of southern Mexico have lost more and more, until NAFTA finally made them decide they where going force them to change. The PRI has forced most of the people to be farmers, and left very little else for them, while at the same time helping large corporate farms push them out. Corrupt credit and tax programs and the extremely large differences is farm size enjoyed by large-scale agricultural producers reinforce this idea of helping the rich, and forget the poor farmers. Normal farmers of the area average about two hectares (10,000 square meters) compared to that of the 20 average of commercial farms. Other issues that have been not been addressed by the PRI are the inequalities of water, power, literary, and development in the area of Chiapas. Here are some comparisons against the rest of Mexico, which are not all that great to start with.

--------------------
rebel rebel and yell
coz our people still dwell in hell

to the young r to the e the b to the e the l
never give up just live up

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2020 - 01:48 AM