Aug 13 2004, 11:49 AM

Young'un

Activist
2-December 03
Thanet, England

QUOTE(lemming @ Aug 6 2004, 05:41 PM)
Leave him alone, he's english.
[right][snapback]125811[/snapback][/right]

For some reason, I didn't find that offensive.

--------------------
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past. - George Orwell
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ley-adam.99
Aug 14 2004, 02:47 PM

Township rebellion

Activist
14-June 04
England

I haven't been on this thread for a while but I just thought you might find this interesting. Marylin Monroe was actually a size 16 (dress size) which is like way above what an 'ideal' dress size is now (around 10 or 9 I think, I'm not sure I don't wear dresses wink.gif )

Just goes to show how the idea of what is 'beautiful' has progressed over the years to become synonymous with very thin.

--------------------
'Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state' Chomsky

'Who controls the past controls the future, who controls the present controls the past' George Orwell

+Quote Post
letsgetreal
Aug 14 2004, 04:02 PM

El nota aguanta

Activist
8-September 03

I haven't been on this thread for a while but I just thought you might find this interesting. Marylin Monroe was actually a size 16 (dress size) which is like way above what an 'ideal' dress size is now (around 10 or 9 I think, I'm not sure I don't wear dresses  )

Just goes to show how the idea of what is 'beautiful' has progressed over the years to become synonymous with very thin.

Yup, and im thinkin the "ideal" size right now is belov a 10 even... i was readin in this magazine interviews on models and stuff, and they said that if they were as "fat" as marylin they would kill themselves... then the magazine had an article on what a stetic plastic surgeon would think of marylin nowadays.. and pretty much they said she "needed" job in every freakin part of the body... in just a few decades everything changes dramatically... and this new ideal of beauty (absolutelly innatural), has a very important effect on the people, especially, the young women.

I'm not sure I don't wear dresses  )

Now im not sure about that... haha jk

--------------------
Send ´em to tha 7th level!

+Quote Post
rev79
Aug 14 2004, 09:34 PM

Nun Chuka Kata

Moderators
29-April 03
On top of you

^Well, IMO Marilyn Monroe puts many of today's supermodels to shame. Shows even more ignorance on the part of these basketcases.

--------------------
I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us, you're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end, I came here to tell you how this is going to begin. Now, I'm going to hang up this phone, and I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world...where anything is possible.
Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

+Quote Post
Orwell
Aug 15 2004, 04:25 AM

Young'un

Activist
2-December 03
Thanet, England

All hail Marilyn Monroe notworthy.gif

--------------------
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past. - George Orwell

+Quote Post
letsgetreal
Aug 15 2004, 06:26 PM

El nota aguanta

Activist
8-September 03

QUOTE(rev79 @ Aug 15 2004, 05:34 AM)
^Well, IMO Marilyn Monroe puts many of today's supermodels to shame. Shows even more ignorance on the part of these basketcases.
[right][snapback]127450[/snapback][/right]

No shit, and in my opinion too, just like in a lot of peoples opinion. This is not so much about opinion, in the sense that there is a subconscieous level on this: manipulating is different from persuading, since manipulating goes under the conscieus part of the individual. The thing is many many of girls that suffer from eating disorder would agree with you in this statement, that Marlilyn was way more beautiful, and they would still harm themselves like they do.

--------------------
Send ´em to tha 7th level!

+Quote Post
Dreamcatcher
Aug 16 2004, 08:39 AM

Urban Guerrilla

Activist
23-March 03

QUOTE(ley-adam.99 @ Aug 14 2004, 05:47 PM)
I haven't been on this thread for a while but I just thought you might find this interesting.  Marylin Monroe was actually a size 16 (dress size)  which is like way above what an 'ideal' dress size is now (around 10 or 9 I think, I'm not sure I don't wear dresses wink.gif )

[right][snapback]127410[/snapback][/right]

A size 16 was also much smaller then. For inastance what would have been a size 5 when Marilyn was popular would be a size 0 now.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people thinking thin women are beautiful. Not all thin women starve themselves and I can't stress enough that eating disorders have NOTHING to do with being thin and/or beautiful.

Maybe I'm biased as a naturally very very thin person but I find it so sad that people put down women who are thin and it happens just as often as larger women getting put down. Why can't we look past size all together. Just because somebody thinks a thin person is beautiful doesn't mean they look past those who aren't thin and visa versa.

We all want to see models we can relate to. I have yet to see a model aside from myself who I can relate to. Maybe Twiggy. Do I agree that most models we see be a standard size of 5'10 and 120? No, I don't. In my perfect world models would start at a 000 and go up to a size 27plus, or as big a size as there is. I do think we need to see more diverse models in both size and ethnicity as well as height.

A big problem in Hollywood is everything gets noticed and picked apart. I was in a magazine store a couple of months ago and on one magazine [I can't remember which] there was a whole section dedicated to stars who have cellulite. They had pictures picking these people apart and cracking mean jokes.

Recently Marie Osmond came out talking about the talk show she had with her brother a few years back. Right after she had her baby she got pressure from executives on HER show to get rid of all the weight as soon as possible.

It goes the other way around too. Look at the web site to the treatment center Mary Kate was just in. They only take in people who have drug and alcohol addictions. I find it sick she is claiming to have an eating disorder just to up hold her so called "Clean image" aside from that, the second people thought she looked a bit thin they deemed her as an anorexic.

I'm far from famous and even I hear rude comments about being thin all the time. I've gotten so many "you need a sandwich," "why are you doing that to your body," you need help" comments from complete strangers if I had a dime for every time I hear them I'd be rich. Mean while my gorgeous size 24 friend hears the opposite. "Get off your lazy @$$ more," "Go to the gym," "Wow, look at that heifer." Even though these comments come from people we don't know they still hurt. How they are funny to those who say those derogatory things is beyond me. We both love our sickly thin and pleasantly plump bodacious bods. Because they are our bodies and we are all individuals. Aside from neither of us finding pants that fit we are both completely comfortable with ourselves and love our bodies. It's other people who for some reason are less comfortable with the way our bodies look. I wonder why, considering they are our bodies and NOT theirs. We do also agree that we both would be better off without the rude comments.

I'm not trying to say it's harder to be unerweight then it is to be over weight but it does go both ways.

Sorry I quoted you then went off on a rant, lol. Only a bit of what i said had to do with what I quoted from you. I'm sorry for making such a long post.

Quick facts.
Marilyn stuffed her bra.
Heifer is an organization to stop world hunger.

--------------------
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
’cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? ooh!
Some say it’s just a part of it:
We’ve got to fulfil de book.
Won’t you help to sing
Dese songs of freedom? -
’cause all I ever had:
Redemption songs -
All I ever had:
Redemption songs:
These songs of freedom,
Songs of freedom.

+Quote Post
RATMROXMYSOX
Aug 16 2004, 04:29 PM

The Treasoner

Activist
3-March 04
Hollywood, FL

I don't consider myself to have an eating disorder persay, but not eating so much really does help me to lose 10 lbs when I want to every month or so. I know it is bad, but people do consciously bad things to themselves all the time. Sometimes even though I may be very hungry, I kinda do other things to get my mind off of it. Now, I eat, but sometimes I avoid it a little bit. And I know aside from all the other huge drawbacks one is that when you do eat something afterward, all the damned weight comes back I swear. I am really trying hard to not eat too much or too little but of course it tends to lean to the lesser of the two. I think today I ate a cereal bar and milk for breakfast, a gross pizza cuz it was the first day of school for lunch, tomorrow I'll eat better, and for dinner I had a bowl of soup. Yeah, I know it doesn't sound like much, but I guess a lot of it is influenced defintely by the presence of my size-0 cousin who is visiting from Holland. And the worst thing was that after I had lost 10 lbs from actually eating healthy and working out? She called me fat. I am a size 11-12 on regular days, ya know, when I'm not bloated from feminine stuff heh but it is still hard even today to not let this standard of beauty that has been beaten into my brain by everyone get to me.

--------------------
Fred is a big dork.

+Quote Post
Intrepid_one
Sep 18 2004, 08:30 AM

Queen of the Nomads

Activist
2-June 04
Toronto

I will never never never understand this type of reasoning. Eating less has nothing to do with it. Of course your going to gain the weight back. Just like when people do utterly ridiculous things like cutting carbs out, as soon as you introduse it back into your diet you gain the weight back. Its about eating the right food. Cerial bars are generally full of suger, pizza is bad for you, and unless that soup water based it was bad too. If you want to loose weight all you have to do is cut out sugar, cream and butter and of course junk food like pizza. follow that simple rule, eat plenty of whole grain carbs (brown rice, brown bread NO PASTA) and lots of veggies and fruit they are yummy. Its actually rellly easy and you will come to love food.

sweety your a size 11-12? you do not need to loose weight. please be healthy and when your hungry eat something.

--------------------
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." The good Dr. HST RIP

+Quote Post

11 V  « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic

: · ·

· · ·

: 29th November 2020 - 08:46 AM