> Pride In Ones Race
V
Moremi
Feb 29 2004, 09:51 AM

I what do! Eat drums!

Activist
30-November 02
Nigeria

i dont feel "closer" to anybody just because he or she is white. you know, brown, white, asian or black american is still american to me. but yes i feel closer to people when i know they're polish.

I know that when I meet a person from Africa or more specifically someone from Nigeria, or a Yoruba person, I open up a lot faster. But I suspect that's the same for other people, when they meet someone from the south or a state where they were born unsure.gif But I still identify with black people throughout the African Diaspora, although people are constantly trying to divide us. And it makes me happy when I see African Americans embracing the continent where their ancestor came from. Even though all don't feel that way, I feel close to them because of our experiences. It's never been a question about whether or not I should feel proud of my race and heritage. I think people of color have to instill that in their children, if you don't, a child could very easily grow up feeling confused or ashamed of who they are.

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Metzli
Feb 29 2004, 01:13 PM

forum gangsta

MOTF
4-January 03
PLANET ROCK!

Moremi,

I completely agree with you and know exactly where you're coming from. When My dad was a part of my life he brought me up as MEXICAN as he could.. haha I was brought up speaking both English and Spanish, Funny thing I was born In the US but he always toold me that I was BORN in Mexico.. smile.gif he was all into telling me about that Mexican Revolution.. raising me like that was very important. That has contributed so much to being proud of who I am. Either way it is important for onr to recognize their history and know where you're coming from!

"if you know your history, then you will know where you're coming" -Bob Marley zyes.gif

--------------------
i wear my stunna glasses at night...

+Quote Post
Metzli
Feb 29 2004, 01:15 PM

forum gangsta

MOTF
4-January 03
PLANET ROCK!

P.S. Looove your Avatar!!! w00t.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Straycat
Feb 29 2004, 01:46 PM

WHO KILLED BAMBI?

Activist
6-January 04
ROOM 101

..... hmm.gif

you know, white people(at least from europe) are in different situation than people of colour. we have borders in europe. when i (as a pole) look for example at a german i see "a german", not a white person. they are white too, but they are different. and they are even treated differently by other nations. plus we have totally different culture and throughout our whole history we were usually enemies.

people of colour usually share experiences cause they are percieved in similar way by other races, even when they're not from the same country or cuture.

what you think??

--------------------
user posted image
I've got a gun you know, and I'd use it,
I wouldn't....I wouldn't I can't get it out you know,
What I mean, if I got a gun, I would use it,
But maybe I would, but maybe I wouldn't...

+Quote Post
Turd Ferguson
Feb 29 2004, 01:47 PM

bite me, it's fun

Activist
20-February 03
Mianus, CA

How could I feel pride in my own race? I'm multiethnic, doesn't that automatically disqualify me? dunno.gif
Filipino ethnic identity has been fucked over numerous times because of colonization and occupation!! I don't like the fact that my Spanish roots come from conquistadores, or that I don't have a drop of indigenous Tagalog blood in me!

--------------------
I'd still hit it!!
user posted image

+Quote Post
Moremi
Feb 29 2004, 04:51 PM

I what do! Eat drums!

Activist
30-November 02
Nigeria

QUOTE (Rage-Babe @ Feb 29 2004, 05:13 PM)
Moremi,

I completely agree with you and know exactly where you're coming from. When My dad was a part of my life he brought me up as MEXICAN as he could.. haha I was brought up speaking both English and Spanish, Funny thing I was born In the US but he always toold me that I was BORN in Mexico.. smile.gif he was all into telling me about that Mexican Revolution.. raising me like that was very important. That has contributed so much to being proud of who I am. Either way it is important for onr to recognize their history and know where you're coming from!

"if you know your history, then you will know where you're coming" -Bob Marley zyes.gif

Exactly. I think that's great that your father did that. grin.gif It's important for people to see where they come from and the good things their people have done and contributed to civilization. It's important to your self worth, to know that you're more than what this society says you are or can be.

P.S. Looove your Avatar!!!  w00t.gif

It doesn't seem to want to stay with me though. When I logged on it was gone and my old one was there wacko.gif

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
Moremi
Feb 29 2004, 05:28 PM

I what do! Eat drums!

Activist
30-November 02
Nigeria

QUOTE (Straycat @ Feb 29 2004, 05:46 PM)
..... hmm.gif

you know, white people(at least from europe) are in different situation than people of colour. we have borders in europe. when i (as a pole) look for example at a german i see "a german", not a white person. they are white too, but they are different. and they are even treated differently by other nations. plus we have totally different culture and throughout our whole history we were usually enemies.

people of colour usually share experiences cause they are percieved in similar way by other races, even when they're not from the same country or cuture.

what you think??

hmm.gif
All continents have borders or nations and different tribes or ethnic groups. Europeans aren't the only ones who fight amongst each other either. But still there are privileges that go with being white, whether you're French or German or Dutch. Yes, it is easier for people of a particular race, like black people, to identify with each other because our current conditions have come about in a similar way. Our oppressors, for the most part, look the same. So yes, I think how we are perceived and treated has something to do with it.

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
Casbah
Feb 29 2004, 06:23 PM

Trouble Man

Activist
12-April 03
Denver, Colorado

ive never really accepted any of the "priveleges" that come with being white, i dont think its right to have any more of a right to something then the next person does

and there are times when your white and you think to yourself, 'if i was anything else, would things go just as smooth as they are now?'......the thing with me is, after thinking this, i immediatly feel guilt and recognise that somethings 'not right' here...

one example of this or something sort of like this that happened a couple of weeks ago at school-
me and another kid(whos black) walk into class in the morning, were both about 10 minutes late after the bell rang, weve both got well over the amount of tardies were allowed to have before a citation is issued, the teacher says hes gonna write the black kid up for being late....im expecting my name to be called right after him, but it didnt happen, the teacher immediatly went on to the lesson, so i just interrupted and said "whyd you write him up but not me?".....this got me a referral(my third one), and also resulted in my being kicked out of my morning classes, but i know it was the right thing to do

--------------------
I fucking SAID this would happen!

-Karl Marx

+Quote Post
Metzli
Feb 29 2004, 07:59 PM

forum gangsta

MOTF
4-January 03
PLANET ROCK!

QUOTE (casbah rebel @ Feb 29 2004, 06:23 PM)
ive never really accepted any of the "priveleges" that come with being white,

one example of this or something sort of like this that happened a couple of weeks ago at school-
me and another kid(whos black) walk into class in the morning, were both about 10 minutes late after the bell rang, weve both got well over the amount of tardies were allowed to have before a citation is issued, the teacher says hes gonna write the black kid up for being late....im expecting my name to be called right after him, but it didnt happen, the teacher immediatly went on to the lesson, so i just interrupted and said "whyd you write him up but not me?".....this got me a referral(my third one), and also resulted in my being kicked out of my morning classes, but i know it was the right thing to do

well, White privilege is a subtle thing... By your example that was a privilege.

Except, You chose not to take it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sara
Feb 29 2004, 09:06 PM

Sunny Sunflower

Moderators
30-November 02
Isla del Sol

QUOTE (casbah rebel @ Mar 1 2004, 03:23 PM)

tha'ts what i would've done, good on u! clap2.gif

--------------------
Reina, reina de mi vida Llena mi reino de alegria Tiene brillo en su mirada Goza de belleza consagra

+Quote Post
Casbah
Feb 29 2004, 09:11 PM

Trouble Man

Activist
12-April 03
Denver, Colorado

id put some kind of smilie up if they worked on my computer...

thanks!!!

--------------------

-Karl Marx

+Quote Post
Metzli
Feb 29 2004, 09:20 PM

forum gangsta

MOTF
4-January 03
PLANET ROCK!

You can if you knew the html codes...

: ) = smile.gif

: D = grin.gif

Just a smiley or two..

tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Casbah
Feb 29 2004, 10:28 PM

Trouble Man

Activist
12-April 03
Denver, Colorado

ah snap, thanks!!!! grin.gif

now i wont feel left out with the smilies

--------------------

-Karl Marx

+Quote Post
Metzli
Mar 1 2004, 03:07 AM

forum gangsta

MOTF
4-January 03
PLANET ROCK!

clap2.gif Yay!!! anyways.. wacko.gif yawn.gif

grin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moremi
Mar 1 2004, 05:04 AM

I what do! Eat drums!

Activist
30-November 02
Nigeria

Can't say what I would have done, stuff like that just doesn't' happen to me tongue.gif That was a good thing though. Now if only more people would apply that principle to other areas of their life, maybe we would be better off. Can you imagine someone saying, "Oh no, I can't accept that promotion, Tyrone is better qualified." Or, "Why aren't you promoting Shaniqua instead, she's a hard worker and has been with this company longer." rolleyes.gif ... and so many other things. The fact is a lot of people enjoy and accept the privileges that come to them and would rather convince themselves that they deserve it and it's their right than not to accept it.

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post

4 V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

: · ·

· · ·

: 27th November 2020 - 05:51 PM