> ¡Zapatista!, UPDATED 6.29.05!
V
zapatista
Nov 30 2003, 05:53 PM

är du också likgiltig?

Moderators
29-January 03
Salina Cruz, Oaxaca

I have gotten a few questions about the Zapatista's lately.. and instead of trying to explain everything.. I thought I would just post a new zapatista related artical every week.

And just so you guys know... flag.blackened.net has one of.. if not THE largest collection of zapatista/Marcos writings around... in english. So take a look.

alrighty.. hahaha sooooo the first thing I think you should read is this...

Chiapas: The Southeast in Two Winds A Storm and a Prophecy

this was writen 2 years before the zapatista uprising but was not published until January 27th, 1994

very interesting.

--------------------
Hey we got the PMA. Hey we got the PMA.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
defiance
Nov 30 2003, 09:19 PM

mind of a revolutionary

Activist
17-November 03
Minnesota

Zapatista I'm very interested in the Zapatista movement, can you give me a general summary of the movement.

+Quote Post
tomalegrand
Dec 1 2003, 10:43 AM

Activist

Activist
23-September 03
france (angers)

everything for everyone and nothing for ourselves!!!

--------------------
WE WILL NEVER FORGET YOUR MUSIC

+Quote Post
zapatista
Dec 1 2003, 11:03 AM

är du också likgiltig?

Moderators
29-January 03
Salina Cruz, Oaxaca

QUOTE (defiance @ Dec 1 2003, 12:19 AM)
Zapatista I'm very interested in the Zapatista movement, can you give me a  general summary of the movement.

Read these links in order. for a good overview of Mexico's economy.. history of politics and indigenous peoples.. it's all important to know to understand what lead to the zapatista uprising.

I think you'll find What is it that is different about the Zapatistas? very interesting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WiLdChiLd
Dec 3 2003, 06:12 AM

Allergic to limitation in any form

Activist
28-November 03
no man's land

who started the movement?

--------------------
i ate civilization...it poisoned me - huxley

+Quote Post
zapatista
Dec 3 2003, 11:02 AM

är du också likgiltig?

Moderators
29-January 03
Salina Cruz, Oaxaca

The Zapatista movement was virtually unknown before their rebellion, the Zapatistas were actually founded on Nov. 17, 1983, meaning its 20th anniversary was last month. The Zapatistas were founded by the Fuerzas de Liberación Nacional (FLN).

--------------------

+Quote Post
zapatista
Dec 8 2003, 05:56 PM

är du också likgiltig?

Moderators
29-January 03
Salina Cruz, Oaxaca

Understanding the war in Chiapas

"We have nothing to lose, absolutely nothing, no decent roof over our heads, no land, no work, poor health, no food, no education, no right to freely and democratically choose our leaders, no independence from foreign interests, and no justice for ourselves or our children. But we say enough is enough! We are the descendants of those who truly built this nation, we are the millions of dispossessed, and we call upon all of our brethren to join our crusade, the only option to avoid dying of starvation!"
Zapatista National Liberation Army (EZLN) Declaration of the Lacandon Jungle, 1993

--------------------

+Quote Post
zapatista
Dec 13 2003, 05:39 PM

är du också likgiltig?

Moderators
29-January 03
Salina Cruz, Oaxaca

Just some interesting... little tid bits... shifty.gif
Subcommander Marcos has been idetified as Rafael Sebastián Guillén, a white (?), middle-class graduate in graphics design from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México--UNAM). Now.. I have actually gotten in arguments.. over this.. because.. not everyone thinks Marcos is a good guy... or that he has good intentions.. and don't understand how he can do what he's doing given he doesn't come from the same background as the people he is representing.. being he isn't poor, opressed or indigenous... but... haha I think Marcos said it best once when he said he was "the great Myth" and I think he summed the whole thing up nicely in a response some time ago to the alligation that he was gay (a rumor started hoping to tarnish his credibility) he responded with a poem.

“Yes, Marcos is gay. Marcos is gay in San Francisco Black in South Africa an Asian in Europe, a Chicano in San Ysidro, an anarchist in Spain, a Palestinian in Israel, a Mayan Indian in the streets of San Cristobal, a Jew in Germany, a Gypsy in Poland, a Mohawk in Quebec, a pacifist in Bosnia, a single woman on the Metro at 10pm a peasant without land, a gang member in the slums, an unemployed worker, an unhappy student and, of course, a Zapatista in the mountains.

“Marcos is all the exploited, marginalised, oppressed minorities resisting and saying `Enough'. He is every minority who is now beginning to speak and every majority that must shut up and listen. He is every untolerated group searching for a way to speak. Everything that makes power and the good consciences of those in power uncomfortable -- this is Marcos.”

I was actually debating this today.. that's what made me think to post it.. haha.. blackhair.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
defiance
Dec 15 2003, 07:41 AM

mind of a revolutionary

Activist
17-November 03
Minnesota

The fact that he didn't come from that background and yet he still had the conscience to join and help to lead them, should convince people of his integrity.
Also, is Marcos the main leader of the movement? Who are some other commanders?

+Quote Post
zapatista
Dec 17 2003, 11:28 AM

är du också likgiltig?

Moderators
29-January 03
Salina Cruz, Oaxaca

^^Yep, that was my whole point.
Also, alot of people think Marcos is the head of the movement because he is really the only one that anyone sees but in actualaty Marcos is more of a spokes person then anything.. In 2001 24 Zapatista leaders made a trip to Mexico City to petition their cause before the Mexican Congress... so there are at the very least 24 leaders some women and no doubt there are more. I am looking threw a book of mine that listed names of other leaders.. but I'm having trouble finding the page.. as soon as I do I'll post them tho.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zapatista
Dec 17 2003, 11:38 AM

är du också likgiltig?

Moderators
29-January 03
Salina Cruz, Oaxaca

This is actually a book.. so I don't really expect anyone to read all of this.. but maybe/hopefully you'll read enough to be interesting in getting it. smile.gif

Chiapas, y las mujeres que?

An intense pain saps my spirit. My will beaten, my soul wounded and it's my first war. The war the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN) launched against the Mexican Army and the government that the army props up. Anguish had me choked up and practically left mute by the fourteenth day of the war. My eyes hurt from seeing and then trying not to cry so as to keep the tears from clouding my vision. ~ Rosa Rojas

--------------------

+Quote Post
defiance
Dec 19 2003, 09:49 PM

mind of a revolutionary

Activist
17-November 03
Minnesota

What is the best book or article about the actuall uprising?

+Quote Post
zapatista
Dec 30 2003, 06:20 PM

är du också likgiltig?

Moderators
29-January 03
Salina Cruz, Oaxaca

QUOTE (defiance @ Dec 20 2003, 12:49 AM)
What is the best book or article about the actuall uprising?

Basta! Land and the Zapatista Rebellion in Chiapas
by George Allen Collier, Elizabeth Lowery Quaratiello

The War Against Oblivion: Zapatista Chroncles 1994 - 2000 (The Read & Resist Series)
by John Ross

Our Word Is Our Weapon: Selected Writings
by Subcommandante Marcos

--------------------

+Quote Post
zapatista
Jan 1 2004, 05:00 PM

är du också likgiltig?

Moderators
29-January 03
Salina Cruz, Oaxaca

January 1st 1994. 10 year anniversary.

EZLN's Declaration of War.

"Today we say 'enough is enough!' (Ya Basta!)"

user posted image

--------------------

+Quote Post
defiance
Jan 1 2004, 10:01 PM

mind of a revolutionary

Activist
17-November 03
Minnesota

I have a question, I just heard a story about two americans, who went to Chiapas to help support the zapatistas, and were not welcomed by the zapistas, but I think they were thrown out (I'm not sure about that part, somebody told me this story and I don't remember all of it.) I was wondering if you knew anything about that, or if that's even true, because it really confused me. Please respond to this soon.

+Quote Post

12 V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

: · ·

· · ·

: 28th November 2020 - 03:10 AM