Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rtb-sf Review
WindBelow
post Aug 19 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Junior Activist

Group: Activist
Member No.: 5,878

This was my third time seeing rage, the first being the battle of sacramento and the second being coachella, so I have expirenced rage before. The festival was huge and just as big as the festival was the line to get it, but one thing was apparent while standing in line, and that was people were there to see rage. Every other person had a rage shirt on, and every person was just as excited as I was. The festival was in at&t parking lot (where the san francisco giants play) and by the time Wu-Tang was on the whole parking lot was filled. I was in the front about 15-20 rows from the stage and right when wu-tang finished it was the usual push to the front by everyone and the tension started. The energy level was amazing, Rage chants were a dime a dozen before they took stage. You could feel the anxiousness from the thousands of fans that came just to see Rage. It took almost an hour from when Wu-Tang left the stage for Rage to finally come on...but when they did it was worth it. Right when testify played the crowd lost it, more then coachella more then sacramento. My friends in the way back said they felt the ground shake and even the people in the far back were going crazy. Mosh pits everywhere of course..people just lost it. I am a hardcore Rage fan just like all of you. And just like all of you I have feasted all the Rage you tube video's and have all the Dvd's , and for me to say this is really bold, but it was one of the most energetic performances I have ever seen them put on. Tom Morello was going so crazy once that he fell down. Zack had more energy then I think I have seen since his younger days, you can tell he is in much better shape now, it was night and day from Coachella. During wake up Zack took the chance again to speak and it was amazing. See my link below to catch a video of his speech in great quality. In between the encore when Rage was still off stage the crowde started chanting "Fuck you I wont do what you tell me" and "Rage! Rage! Rage!" and when they came back on and played freedom/township rebellion it went nuts. During Township Zack yelled, everyone one from front to back jump! And the whole parking lot was jumping and going insane. Of course Killing in the Name was awesome and left the night in a perfect tone. They hugged at the end of the set and they did the same thing after all the RTB shows and at Coachella..but something was different about this, it was special, they stood together and raised there fist's in the air while there arms were around each other...then they gave each other a big group hug that was genuine and gave me chills....Rage is back..After the show thousands roamed the San Francisco streets yelling fuck you i wont do what you tell me, while stopping traffic and throwing things at the police. There was a point where I thought a riot would break out. I had many friends at the show, mostly hip hop fans, some just there cause they got a free ticket..they all said the same thing...it was the best show they had ever seen

This post has been edited by WindBelow: Aug 19 2007, 04:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MunKy321
post Aug 19 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #2

Activist

Member No.: 5,289

It's good to see that their shows are getting better. Great review dude! Couldn't ask for a better one, except the setlist.

+Quote Post
WindBelow
post Aug 19 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #3

Junior Activist

Member No.: 5,878

Here is a video of Zacks speech during wake up at the SF RTB show, great quality also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI6457FKG20

This post has been edited by WindBelow: Aug 19 2007, 04:20 PM

+Quote Post
kort
post Aug 19 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #4

Urban Guerrilla

Member No.: 3,398

that's just beautiful

+Quote Post
Shawasha
post Aug 19 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #5

Junior Activist

Member No.: 5,806

I was about 10 heads back on the left side of the stage during rage. It was amazing. The mosh pits were crazy. I saw a guy crack his head open, and another guy get his pipe smashed into his lips because the pit pushed into him.

I have to say it was an amazing show

+Quote Post
erhajj
post Aug 19 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Saami radical

Member No.: 7

I was there also. It was the 14th time that I have seen rage and the first DNC in 2000 and I do say that there was something special about it. There was more energy in Zack's delivery and not that it was not there before but the conviction in Zack's lyrics seemed to be all the more appearant. I was about 100 people back in front of Tim during the whole set and it was intense.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment and I will write more later but I will ad the following:

-The Township Rebellion piece at the end of Freedom last night was the heaviest piece of music that I have ever experienced live.

-I think that Zack's delievery has gotten even better since I have seen them last.

-Being one of 45,000 plus people yelling "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" is pretty cool.

+Quote Post
thary
post Aug 19 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #7

Activist

Member No.: 4,231

I felt the ground shake from where I was.

I was off to the side and far away. But the people in my area weren't going that crazy at all, just a few people jumping and singing. But I heard about the craziness up in front. Don't know if it was a good or bad thing that I missed it.

I liked Coachella better just cause I had a better spot. But I do have to agree that they seemed more comfortable. They had a lot more energy, and that was apparent when Zack fell back and Tom was on the floor. And that hug at the end was...adorable.

+Quote Post
erhajj
post Aug 19 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #8

Saami radical

Member No.: 7

What was the deal with the individual climbing in the rafters?

And did anyone see the speakers at the back when people climbed those? I remember thinking that somebody would be hurt when just one person fell over.

+Quote Post
duby
post Aug 20 2007, 05:56 AM
Post #9

Guerrilla

Member No.: 5,366

QUOTE(WindBelow @ Aug 20 2007, 05:56 AM) [snapback]209117[/snapback]
Here is a video of Zacks speech during wake up at the SF RTB show, great quality also:

These speeches he's been giving at all the recent concerts are Great. Each 1 original and insightful in it's own right. This is a good quality piece. It really does the band and it's msg justice. CHeers for the link my friend =)

--------------------
DUBY ON MYSPACE > http://www.myspace.com/duby1984

Activist Noam Chomsky argues that “Mumia's case is symbolic of something much broader...The US prison system is simply class and race war...Mumia and other prisoners are the kind of people that get assassinated by what's called 'social cleansing' in US client states like Colombia.”

How Long? Not Long! Cause what you reap, is what what you sow!
WAKE UP!

+Quote Post
havokb8
post Aug 20 2007, 09:51 PM
Post #10

Junior Activist

Member No.: 5,739

QUOTE(duby @ Aug 20 2007, 05:56 AM) [snapback]209144[/snapback]
QUOTE(WindBelow @ Aug 20 2007, 05:56 AM) [snapback]209117[/snapback]

These speeches he's been giving at all the recent concerts are Great. Each 1 original and insightful in it's own right. This is a good quality piece. It really does the band and it's msg justice. CHeers for the link my friend =)

I flew in from denver, never thought id get to see them, and now it seems like a part of my life is compplete. I think this is easily the best show ive ever seen, and ive been to a ton of concerts...but the best was the mob in the streets afterwards, that was the coolest shit ive ever been a part of, 30 thousand people just mobbing, every time a car honked thousands of people just screamed and flipped them off....it was amazing.

+Quote Post
jESS_RAGE
post Aug 20 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #11

Activist

Member No.: 6,066

wow
sounds like you had a great time
i honestly felt like a different person
after leaving the show in san bernardino
i look up to these guys
their lyrics are just so real you know
but yea best concert ive been to in my life

--------------------
If we don't take action now
We settle for nothing later.

myspace

+Quote Post
charles
post Aug 20 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #12

Junior Activist

Member No.: 6,077

A few days late....but I thought I'd add some thoughts for people who weren't there.

This is the 12th time I saw Rage...dating back to summer of '93...and I think it was the best show I've seen them play since early Evil Empire tour (probably the Fillmore show in SF). This Rock the Bells performance seemed like one of the important shows of the band's career....I mean...this wasn't just another stop on some tour....the band's intensity was really something to witness on Saturday night.

Anyhow...a few things:

- There was definitely a second when I felt the ground shake after Testify kicked in. I was in the press pit with a little (not much, but a little) space around me and I reached to steady myself and then thought "Wait...we're on concrete." I checked the local Richter scale for Saturday night...but no luck (I was hoping for a Pinkpop '94).

- Start of the show was the band's three album openers in reverse.

- Bullet in the Head was the most awesome track of the evening. Tim's bass section breakdown about 3/4 into the song before the climax was just awesome. My only complaint was that this track wasn't slotted deeper in the setlist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_w03HdKm-4

- Renegades of Funk was a bit of a momentum killer after Bullet blew the roof off the place. If the band needed to shift gears....? Darkness? Tire Me? Or shit....Producer could have been intense.

- 7 of 10 songs off their first album....I'd say by far the best material of the night. Interesting...cause I thought at Coachella it was the big three off of L.A. - Guerrilla, Calm, Sleep - that really got things banging.

-I saw them do it at Coachella....but I can't even begin to say how awesome it is that they're playing "Wake Up." How long? Not long.

- Zack really made my night when he acknowledged the people of San Francisco for shutting the city down the day the war started in Iraq. I've always taken a lot of pride in the fact that the people here went on record by seriously opposing this heap of dogshit war from the get-go. I'd also like to think that the band was as intense as they were on Saturday...because they knew they were playing for a thoroughly likeminded crowd.

+Quote Post
optim13922
post Aug 21 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #13

Junior Activist

Member No.: 3,892

I saw all the california shows this year, coachella, rtb in sb and rtb in sf and the sf show was the best show of my fucking life. I haven't been to an insane amount of shows, just like 40, but this was one of the best nights of my life now that i reflect upon it. At coachella I was pulled out like 45 minutes before rage started (and i had literally the closest spot possible) and i lost my shoes so when i got back in the pit I couldnt really enjoy myself as much as I wanted to. At rtb in sb the vibe was really bad cause of the poor venue and an abnormal amount of drunk people and people with bad attitudes at the front. I made it through three songs at 2 people from the rail and had to get pulled out because I thought I was going to die. Then RTB San Francisco, I maneuvered my way to practically the front of the second rail and had a beautiful view of rage throughout the whole show with much less physical pain than the other two shows, plus they were just ridiculously on that night.

You can tell they are now having a lot of fun playing these shows, they fed off each other's and the crowds energy like a mother fucker. Zack obviously has much more vocal stamina than he did at coachella and like was previously mentioned they are much more comfortable. I will never forget this night. I am so happy for the band and especially for all of us fans who have gained something that we will take with us for the rest of our lives, we really are incredicly lucky to have experienced these performances. Congratulations to everyone! I got chills while typing this. I know i shouldn't feel this way about a band, but I have been such a big rage fan for the past 8 years and have always felt unfulfilled having never been able to see them live and now I no longer feel that way, I couldn't have asked for anything better than this.

+Quote Post
havokb8
post Aug 22 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #14

Junior Activist

Member No.: 5,739

QUOTE(optim13922 @ Aug 21 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]209193[/snapback]
I saw all the california shows this year, coachella, rtb in sb and rtb in sf and the sf show was the best show of my fucking life. I haven't been to an insane amount of shows, just like 40, but this was one of the best nights of my life now that i reflect upon it. At coachella I was pulled out like 45 minutes before rage started (and i had literally the closest spot possible) and i lost my shoes so when i got back in the pit I couldnt really enjoy myself as much as I wanted to. At rtb in sb the vibe was really bad cause of the poor venue and an abnormal amount of drunk people and people with bad attitudes at the front. I made it through three songs at 2 people from the rail and had to get pulled out because I thought I was going to die. Then RTB San Francisco, I maneuvered my way to practically the front of the second rail and had a beautiful view of rage throughout the whole show with much less physical pain than the other two shows, plus they were just ridiculously on that night.

You can tell they are now having a lot of fun playing these shows, they fed off each other's and the crowds energy like a mother fucker. Zack obviously has much more vocal stamina than he did at coachella and like was previously mentioned they are much more comfortable. I will never forget this night. I am so happy for the band and especially for all of us fans who have gained something that we will take with us for the rest of our lives, we really are incredicly lucky to have experienced these performances. Congratulations to everyone! I got chills while typing this. I know i shouldn't feel this way about a band, but I have been such a big rage fan for the past 8 years and have always felt unfulfilled having never been able to see them live and now I no longer feel that way, I couldn't have asked for anything better than this.

not much else to say than what my man optim said, the FUCKING GROUND SHOOK, we RAGED, i lost my mind, and then we rioted on the streets of san francisco. and now im back in denver, and i want to wear my orange stop the bush regime bandanna to the grocery store with my rage shirt on...honestly i really still feel like i should be doing something now man, zacks speech and that show, hes right tho........we can take this shit over if we tried....but i also had this thought, think about the state of the world when rage started, and when they ended, not much was going on.....and now that they are back, we all acknowledge through zacks speeches, that he is way more convicted and way crazier than ever, and ok ok, in theory if they are really back for good, things are going to get crazier for sure, and i can really picture the government trying to stop RATM in some way, because more than ever if they stay together i think they are really really going to make some shit happen.

+Quote Post
JoBob
post Nov 1 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #15

Junior Activist

Member No.: 6,146

QUOTE(havokb8 @ Aug 22 2007, 12:26 AM) [snapback]209196[/snapback]
QUOTE(optim13922 @ Aug 21 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]209193[/snapback]

not much else to say than what my man optim said, the FUCKING GROUND SHOOK, we RAGED, i lost my mind, and then we rioted on the streets of san francisco. and now im back in denver, and i want to wear my orange stop the bush regime bandanna to the grocery store with my rage shirt on...honestly i really still feel like i should be doing something now man, zacks speech and that show, hes right tho........we can take this shit over if we tried....but i also had this thought, think about the state of the world when rage started, and when they ended, not much was going on.....and now that they are back, we all acknowledge through zacks speeches, that he is way more convicted and way crazier than ever, and ok ok, in theory if they are really back for good, things are going to get crazier for sure, and i can really picture the government trying to stop RATM in some way, because more than ever if they stay together i think they are really really going to make some shit happen.

hey your in denver?
me too
i am from san francisco and i go to sf for third show this year along with coachella and sb and i can say they are getting progressively better live
i just went to vegoose also which may have been the most bad ass show yet even if the location yet even if there was the least build up
i have never seen the band look so fucking ecstatic as i have this weekend when they finished the set and tom threw down his guitar

now i got to figure a way out to get to europe for a while

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2020 - 10:09 AM