Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coachella Afterthoughts...
THE UPSETTER
post Apr 30 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #31

Revolutionary

Group: Activist
Member No.: 30

They started with Tesify and went into Bulls.

Heres a clip of the beginning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kifuk_UuI

It was getting crazy cause they were showing the guys backstage ready to come on.

Although festivals are nice for people who want to see a full days worth of various music, they suck for the likes of Rage fans who I've found to be intellegnt, kind, respectful people. Drunk idiotic fucks start pushing people and don't think of the ones in front who are getting crushed. Disrespecting others is not a good way to represent what RATM stands for. On the other hand, at Rage tour concerts, its all Rage fans and mostly respectful ones. No crazy rushes of people, if you fall, at least two people help you up...unlike Coachella. I really wish bands I liked stopped playing there. Out in the middle of the desert, fucked up heat and crazy crowds don't equal fun; for me at least. Oh and tall people still suck.

This post has been edited by THE UPSETTER: Apr 30 2007, 03:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RaTm1211
post Apr 30 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #32

Tonatiuh
Group Icon

Group: ZDLRNet Admin
Member No.: 254

laughing.gif

My bro is going to upload Renegades of Funk soon. Its not the best video ever but itll do. I think he said its going to be about 150 MB.

--------------------

+Quote Post
seditious beats
post Apr 30 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #33

El Broma ¡BOO!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 42

QUOTE(THE UPSETTER @ Apr 30 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]206452[/snapback]
They started with Tesify and went into Bulls.

Heres a clip of the beginning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kifuk_UuI

It was getting crazy cause they were showing the guys backstage ready to come on.

Although festivals are nice for people who want to see a full days worth of various music, they suck for the likes of Rage fans who I've found to be intellegnt, kind, respectful people. Drunk idiotic fucks start pushing people and don't think of the ones in front who are getting crushed. Disrespecting others is not a good way to represent what RATM stands for. On the other hand, at Rage tour concerts, its all Rage fans and mostly respectful ones. No crazy rushes of people, if you fall, at least two people help you up...unlike Coachella. I really wish bands I liked stopped playing there. Out in the middle of the desert, fucked up heat and crazy crowds don't equal fun; for me at least. Oh and tall people still suck.

Coachella doesn't usually attract crowds like that. That happened because Rage hadn't played in years, so lots of the ones showing up weren't the ones that knew what they were really about over 7 years ago. I think people know what they're supposed to stand for, but don't know about it, if that makes sense. "Yeah, fuck the government! RAGE! RAGE! RAGE!" that kind of shit. I did meet some people who were really cool and nice and loved Rage. I met others around me who were Rage fans because they liked the sound, but were respectful.

I can sort of relate this to Gang Of Four. Back when they were together many years ago, people knew about them and lived them, but when they reunited it wasn't like "okay, let's get active again!" People came to see them because they liked the band, not to get active, if you know what I mean. They still had the same insightful, angry lyrics, just as Rage has, but they have a different crowd. Gang of Four won't attract the same fans. I know of guys that listen to Rage while working out. That's not to say it's meathead music, but well, it attracts them.

Someone very close to me was at the camp grounds the night before and told me there were people complaining about several people doing a drum circle and reciting Rage lyrics, being asked to not be so loud, and they were going to be asked to leave. To some, that might seem cool, but for every other person in their tent trying to sleep, it definitely was not.

I think the same might happen at Rock the Bells. They're the first rock band to ever play there, I think. Some people have never even heard of Rock the Bells before Rage was announced to play. I can hear people booing other hip hop groups to get off stage and fights breaking out already.

--------------------
deep s.p . a . . c . . . e

+Quote Post
seditious beats
post Apr 30 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #34

El Broma ¡BOO!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 42

Oh yeah, and beer and big events like that do not mix.

--------------------
deep s.p . a . . c . . . e

+Quote Post
AntiMythRhythmRo...
post Apr 30 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #35

Junior Activist

Member No.: 5,409

QUOTE(seditious beats @ Apr 30 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]206456[/snapback]

OK, now I'm confused... did they play Know Your Enemy or not?

This review says they did (encore):
http://music.monstersandcritics.com/review...nst_the_Machine

The odd thing is that the setlists posted on this site make no mention of Know Your Enemy.... hmmm?

This post has been edited by AntiMythRhythmRockShocka: Apr 30 2007, 04:12 PM

+Quote Post
Vandy
post Apr 30 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #36

Junior Activist

Member No.: 5,729

Here's a decent video of Guerrilla Radio:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yw7XMhjXK3k

And a portion of Renegades of Funk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFV2vQx4Gb8&NR=1

+Quote Post
Salva Veritate
post Apr 30 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #37

Rippin Shocks One Track at a Time

Member No.: 4,603

PART OF THE WAKE UP SPEECH + PART OF FREEDOM + PART OF KILLING IN THE NAME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZlCaneDAd8...ted&search=

This post has been edited by Salva Veritate: Apr 30 2007, 04:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RaTm1211
post Apr 30 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #38

Tonatiuh
Group Icon

Member No.: 254

They played know your enemy, i jus watched not too long ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thary
post Apr 30 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #39

Activist

Member No.: 4,231

I avoided any sort of mosh pit. I'm too short for that. I really just wanted to see them perform. I found a place that had a decent view. I could see everything, just not that up close and avoided being clobbered by people.

Best show ever. I would say it's not as if they hadn't broken up. I think there's a difference in Zack's demeanor. Nothing bad or anything. Obviously, it's been 7 years.

I wonder how nervous they were. The expectations were really high and they delivered.

+Quote Post
duby
post Apr 30 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #40

Guerrilla

Member No.: 5,366

Yeah! Rock on! It was a great show. The crowd was full of energy and the mosh was packed tight. The crowd errupted as zack appeared on the centre runway. The grounds exploded as they kicked out Testify.
Man It was really full on in the main mosh/crowd area. I started about 20metres just left of centre, on Tims side of stage, then muscled my way through a circle of death into the point blank zone. By the time calm like a bomb kicked out, I was 1 metre off the barricade. I cannot stress how full on the pit was. It's something you have to experience to understand. I watched one guy pass out and helped crowd surf about 10 exhausted people out tha mosh before they passed out. My mate bailed after testify, and almost broke his leg whilst being pushed over the barricade. He had to vivist first aid, nothing major - but he says it felt like he almost broke his leg because it got pinned to thre fence.
I love wake u. That was mad. Zack got really fired up. He was really asking that crowd to WAKE UP, you could see it in his eyes. Fucking awesome. He's a passionate man.
Well 29 - 04 - 07 will go down in rock history as the rebirth of the mighty RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE. And I'm proud to say that I was at the event.
It fucking rocked!

--------------------
DUBY ON MYSPACE > http://www.myspace.com/duby1984

Activist Noam Chomsky argues that “Mumia's case is symbolic of something much broader...The US prison system is simply class and race war...Mumia and other prisoners are the kind of people that get assassinated by what's called 'social cleansing' in US client states like Colombia.”

How Long? Not Long! Cause what you reap, is what what you sow!
WAKE UP!

+Quote Post
pray4mojo
post Apr 30 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #41

Junior Activist

Member No.: 5,748

Oh and tall people still suck.

Unless you're one of them. Then you get more oxygen and can see everything.

That being said I'm not bitter you hate us, but there were a VERY high number of tall whiteboys there yesterday, wasn't there??

+Quote Post
Sam
post Apr 30 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #42

Junior Activist

Member No.: 5,770

Well since everyone is posting up their thoughts, I might as well post up mine...

Going into this concert, it's been quite emotional. I've been a heavy Rage fan for 9 years and never got to see them live, only through DVD's and other footage.
So let's get to it... I got into the main stage crowd around the time willie nelson was halfway through his set. It was starting to get packed. After his performance, I moved closer to the center-front of the crowd...I quickly realized this was a mistake as people were literally squashed onto each other and these fat bastards kept shoving their way through. So I backed out and found a spot at the right hand side of the stage. Crowded House came on to perform and the crowd started to get more dense as time went on. One thing that got to me, and other people have mentioned it too...is the fact that these fucking idiotic retards were being absolutely arrogant to the band. I saw a bottle/object get thrown at the lead singer and you could see he was obviously irked. It was honestly ridiculous. But as others have said, he tried to be a good sport about it. Towards the end of their performance, some people were yelling at them to get off and some started chanting.
Anyway, then came on Manu Chao - and I must say - it was pretty badass....people were getting into it and the music was great. Unfortunately towards the second part of their set came the HUGE shoves from the back of the crowd. I was 3 people away from the barriers up front and this massive surge was pounding at us in the back. I felt bad for some of the girls and other smaller people in the audience who were getting absolutely crushed. I saw this one lardass shoving up on people with his other heavy friend...they were trying to plow through. It's idiots like this that ruin it for others. But all of this doesn't compare to what happened at the beginning of the Rage set.
So, naturally towards 10:40 (starting time of the rage performance) my emotions were starting to go crazy...I've been waiting for this for 7 years as most of you have... They showed the backstage area up on the big screens and at first you see the vip's pass in and people are starting to get fired up. Then you see Zack getting warmed up with a flashing light giving you glimpses and the crowd goes absolutely fucking nuts. The run up to the stage comes and "Good evening, we are Rage Against the Machine from Los Angeles, California." Holy shit, words can't describe the emotions man...they just can't. So then "Testify" starts and the jumping starts to go off and everyone's into it...almost 10 seconds into that comes a huge surge of pressure from the back...it was DAMN powerful. I was being swayed around from side to side by the smashed-together crowd. It just didn't let up at all...kept going for minutes. I started to run out of breath because of the shoving to stay upright. I was getting really worried at one point because I was seriously afraid I would've fainted - the combo of hot air and being smothered ain't nice. I turned around at one point and this piece of trash motherfucker was plowing into us straight up shoving a girl in front of him. I wasn't able to enjoy the damn song because of all of this. So halfway through "Bulls on Parade", I - along with a few other people - were literally SQUEEZING through the crowd to get to a less packed area. I finally managed to get to a more open area to the right of the stage. From there I was able to see everything well. The performance was absolutely amazing. Rage seriously delivered. I must say I enjoyed every minute of it. It was like an emotional super-high the whole damn time....Jumping and vibing to the rage songs was downright amazing. Plus, getting to do the chant at the end of "Killing in the Name" was a crazy experience. Other highlights were Bullet in the Head, Zack's speech, Wake Up, and Renegads of Funk...actually screw it..the whole damn thing was a highlight, not one part was worse than any other, every song performance was awesome. To me, this was definitely an amazing rage perfomance, on par with any footage i've seen. And the fact that it's the first time in 7 years....wow hopefully a lot more to come

Overall thoughts on Coachella ( I was there only Sunday ), it wasn't bad, I heard a lot of bands that I hadn't listened to before, so I enjoyed listening to some new stuff. One gripe though is the large amount of little kids/bimbos/or other clueless people wearing the rage shirts that they likely had purchased a few hours back. It kind of put me off that these people had probably not even listened to Rage before and were just trying to be "trendy" or whatnot. But I guess that is expected since this isn't a rage-specific show....maybe i'm just being too judgmental...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Metzli
post Apr 30 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #43

forum gangsta
Group Icon

Group: MOTF
Member No.: 144

QUOTE(das187 @ Apr 30 2007, 04:23 AM) [snapback]206369[/snapback]
NOT in order

Testify
Bulls On Parade
People Of The Sun
Bullet In The Head
Know Your Enemy
Bombtrack
Down Rodeo
Renegades Of Funk
Calm Like A Bomb
Guerrilla Radio
Sleep Now In A Fire
WAKE UP
----
Freedom/ Township Rebellion
Killing In The Name

is it in order now??

FUCK FOO!! THAT SHIT WAS TIIIIGHT!! How far up front did you end up gettin?

QUOTE(seditious beats @ Apr 30 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]206456[/snapback]

word! Some dude next to us PUKEd and then he sorta passed out and then he lied down over his puke, it was so gross cause that foo chunked it, but anyways, it was THE SHIT!!

MANU was fucking awesome!!

I FUCKING LOST IT WHEN TESTIFY CAME ON!! OMG! IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!! Zack still got it! Fuuuuuuuuck! Ahhh!! I'm still tired from lastnight! got out of the parking lot at 3am, got home right before 5am, and flew back up to Nor.Cali by 10 am...... had a MIDTERM by 4 pm today... and
apparently, my cold worsened....UNBELIEVABLE

--------------------
i wear my stunna glasses at night...

+Quote Post
Metzli
post Apr 30 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #44

forum gangsta
Group Icon

Group: MOTF
Member No.: 144

Aight, here are some real thoughts...

Got to Coachella and to be honest, I still wasn't too PUMPED about the show... I was sorta getting excited about it... talkin' to some inside peeps.. that was kind of exciting... some of the peeps that went to Chicago said it was fucking amazing to see Zack and Tom performing again... so that was coo, So I went to catch The Coup, which was fuckin Coo... and I thought to myself... alright, the crowd here seemed coo... they seemed to generate a coo vibe... then I caught the Roots on the Coachella stage, which I seemed to be enjoying... along with one of my sisters... but then... the crowd around me was kinda whack... like no one seemed to know who they were, and I was like... "Man this crowd is waaaack" like they didn't appreciate hip-hop or somethin... which is expected.. it was a rock fest... but anyways, I was jammin' out to The Roots... they were tight as always... then I chilled for a bit... Went into the Heineken Beer Gardens... two words.. "hella whack" there was a bunch of nasty sticky drunkies... anyways... when i saw people drinking that much i thought, "fuckkk, that shits gonna be wack if there's a bunch of drunk people during the rage set.." then as I walked around a saw a couple fighting, it was pretty sad but that's what you get sometimes when ppl drink a little too much... then headed back towards the main stage, I was getting tired but it was more cause I had a cold (still have) my throat was hurting and I felt so tired, but then as soon as MANU and RADIO BEMBA came on I was like... FUCKKKK YAH! It was THE SHIT!!!! But apparently, the peeps next to me weren't diggin the WAIT... so they started throwin fits, screamin shit out like "Culero..." and "We want RAGE" and i was like.. "Fuck, No fucking respect! We already had to wait 7 years, what's a few more mins gon' do?" so yeah, those foos next to us were waaack... MAnu & Radio Bemba Ended their set and .... then like 30 mins later...... Woooo... i started to get the chillz... my little brother was with me... i was kinda scared for him... but i guess i knew he would hang in there... then TESTIFY CAME ON and FUuuuck, I'm not gonna lie, some tears came out... fucking tears of JOY! Fuuuuuck! They ended around midnight.... and it was horrible getting out of that fucking place! There was this FIGHT that broke out at the end, some foo was punching some other foo and there was a SHIT LOAD of Pigs there, people ended up tearing down the fences and just got the hell out of there... kinda funny, but kinda violent... damn... I really don't know how to express how i felt during their set, but I fucking ENJOYED it and my boy got at leaast half of it... but his fucking battery gave out... either way,..

GOOD TIMES!

ROCK THE BELLS, HERE WE COME!

--------------------
i wear my stunna glasses at night...

+Quote Post
cosmic
post Apr 30 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #45

Magneto, alpha(E/H)^2
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

there was an exit in lot 6 that got us out in 10 minutes. Sweet.

Yea, I didn't understand some "fans."

--------------------

Classic

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd April 2020 - 03:02 PM