> Using The Word "gay"
V
seditious beats
May 14 2003, 05:07 PM

El Broma ¬°BOO!

Moderators
2-December 02

QUOTE (ZDLRfan @ May 14 2003, 10:57 PM)
Well, I can't speak for everyone but I don't think it's always an excuse. Sometimes, it depends on the individual saying it. Sometimes, it has to do with the environment you come from. I choose not to use certain words but I'm not always offended when others use them because there is an understanding of what is being said.

of course it is not always an excuse, but in this case, i think we're educated enough here to know better. is that why you choose not to say certain words?

So says you. That show is full of stereotypes against gay people, blacks and the mentally disabled. It's offensive! And why is it acceptable to you when a character on South Park says "that is so gay" but here it's an insult?

the cartoon takes place in the burbs, the characters are kids not in the know of reality outside their li'l box town, like in real life, but exaggerated. it points this out, or no?

--------------------
deep s.p . a . . c . . . e
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rev79
May 31 2003, 09:52 AM

Nun Chuka Kata

Moderators
29-April 03
On top of you

I don't believe there's anything wrong with using the word gay as an adjective. 'This movie is gay' or 'this song is gay', there's nothing wrong with that usage. But when you firmly start using that kind of term in the direction of an individual, then there is a problem I suppose. In this day and age we have multiple meanings for many words, which is why its acceptable, you just have to know when to use them.

--------------------
I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us, you're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end, I came here to tell you how this is going to begin. Now, I'm going to hang up this phone, and I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world...where anything is possible.
Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

+Quote Post
Manifest
May 31 2003, 09:58 AM

Hoochie Coochie Myne

Activist
30-November 02
Fontana, california

^ I totally agree with you, I guess it's different depending on your peer group becuase when im with certain people I can use that word freely, like with the cats I play ball with, we use that word freely and we dont intend to use it in reference to homosexuals

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sara
Jun 1 2003, 07:38 PM

Sunny Sunflower

Moderators
30-November 02
Isla del Sol

QUOTE (revolutionusa @ Jun 1 2003, 06:52 AM)
I don't believe there's anything wrong with using the word gay as an adjective. 'This movie is gay' or 'this song is gay', there's nothing wrong with that usage. But when you firmly start using that kind of term in the direction of an individual, then there is a problem I suppose. In this day and age we have multiple meanings for many words, which is why its acceptable, you just have to know when to use them.

but this is not about multiple meanings. we're not talking about gay meaning happy, or gay meanng homosexual. u say "this movie is gay" what do u actually mean?

--------------------
Reina, reina de mi vida Llena mi reino de alegria Tiene brillo en su mirada Goza de belleza consagra

+Quote Post
rev79
Jun 1 2003, 10:01 PM

Nun Chuka Kata

Moderators
29-April 03
On top of you

Just uncool is all.

--------------------
I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us, you're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end, I came here to tell you how this is going to begin. Now, I'm going to hang up this phone, and I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world...where anything is possible.
Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

+Quote Post
Sara
Jun 1 2003, 10:06 PM

Sunny Sunflower

Moderators
30-November 02
Isla del Sol

QUOTE (revolutionusa @ Jun 2 2003, 07:01 PM)
Just uncool is all.

see that's what i'm against

what's uncool bout being gay, ur giving the movie negative attributes when using gay, i dont think its right.

it's like saying (and i've given this example before) "this is so hispanic" meaning cheap or stupid, does it make sense? i don't thnk so, is it offensive? for sure it is. and it's wrong.

i can't think of any valid reason why ppl need to be this prejudice against underrepresented groups in society.

--------------------
Reina, reina de mi vida Llena mi reino de alegria Tiene brillo en su mirada Goza de belleza consagra

+Quote Post
Grey Mouse
Jun 2 2003, 03:20 AM

Urban Guerrilla

Activist
4-December 02

Always getting to the party late, arent I? wavenew.gif

OK, people..... Sarah IS completely right. Look, how can you say that using the word 'gay' as a negative attribute is somehow completely ok because it is not AIMED at someone who's homosexual? It's the SAME fucking WORD.

Ok, the possible meanings are: either in old usage, to mean happy, or in modern usage, meaning homosexual. There are not multiple meanings for gay when your using it as a negative adjective, bc we KNOW your not using it to describe happy.

Ok, let's get intellectual. Maybe your trying to express something which has somehow in someone's mind SOMEWHERE, come to mean 'gay' by loose, ignorant association but you're trying to say BAD... could kitsch be the word your searching for? Or camp? I don't know. I don't want to assume. I just don't see anything right in using 'gay' to describe anything, simply bc in modern english the word is accepted as meaning homosexual, and therefore your making it negative.

Sonja, soz I missed this whole thread after my post on the first page. I never saw 'nigga' get used either, but if I did I woulda caused a furor... grin.gif

--------------------
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no-one thinks of changing himself" - Leo Tolstoy

"As long as we can go shopping, the world economy can go to hell" - SS

+Quote Post
Moremi
Jun 2 2003, 10:43 AM

I what do! Eat drums!

Activist
30-November 02
Nigeria

The word "gay" has other meanings besides "happy" or homosexual. According to Miriam Webster, gay also means "given to social pleasures; licentious"

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
Manifest
Jun 2 2003, 07:42 PM

Hoochie Coochie Myne

Activist
30-November 02
Fontana, california

"this is so hispanic" meaning cheap or stupid
laugh.gif I use that line all the time especially when I ask mi padre for lana, im like "damn veijo way are you so Beanner" (hispanc/cheap)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manifest
Jun 2 2003, 07:44 PM

Hoochie Coochie Myne

Activist
30-November 02
Fontana, california

Speaking of the word Beanner im goin' to use that like the brothas use the N word then im going to get all offended when someone of a different race uses it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manifest
Jun 2 2003, 07:48 PM

Hoochie Coochie Myne

Activist
30-November 02
Fontana, california

Scratch that it sounds a lot cooler if I say Beannah,

Like " Yo, what up my Beannah..., Peace out Beannah..., Damn you Beannah's be trippin, cuz'"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sara
Jun 3 2003, 12:01 AM

Sunny Sunflower

Moderators
30-November 02
Isla del Sol

^ whaaaaa??

im so confused!! unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moremi
Jun 3 2003, 12:23 AM

I what do! Eat drums!

Activist
30-November 02
Nigeria

QUOTE (Manifest @ Jun 2 2003, 11:44 PM)
Speaking of the word Beanner im goin' to use that like the brothas use the N word then im going to get all offended when someone of a different race uses it

Scratch that it sounds a lot cooler if I say Beannah,

Like " Yo, what up my Beannah..., Peace out Beannah..., Damn you Beannah's be trippin, cuz'

I don't know if these remarks were meant to be sarcastic but if they were that was an extremely ignorant and insensitive thing to say! Are you trying to say black people should not get offend when non-blacks use the word "nigga"? Or something else? Explain please.

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
Sara
Jun 3 2003, 01:28 AM

Sunny Sunflower

Moderators
30-November 02
Isla del Sol

QUOTE (Manifest @ Jun 3 2003, 04:42 PM)
"this is so hispanic" meaning cheap or stupid
laugh.gif I use that line all the time especially when I ask mi padre for lana, im like "damn veijo way are you so Beanner" (hispanc/cheap)

is he your real father? unsure.gif

laugh.gif how bout NO mellow.gif

Scratch that it sounds a lot cooler if I say Beannah, Like " Yo, what up my Beannah..., Peace out Beannah..., Damn you Beannah's be trippin, cuz'"

the problem is, people like you, when u belong to an underrepresented ethinc group, it's twice as hard to be taken seriously, and to get equal rights as everyone else, what do u do? you go and use those terms that are meant to degrade your culture, and tell us it's ok, well...thats' just beyond me...i don't understand....instead of taking a stand against prejudice, ur copying ppl u see on TV coz it's so cool to say "nigga", it's not cool... mellow.gif

of course, it'll be all clearer when u explain what your trying to convey here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blAHchYd
Jun 5 2003, 10:22 AM

Vibrator

Activist
30-November 02

"Does gay=ugly, bad, cheap,...etc.? "

I believe that there are people who want others to feel that gay is Ugly, Bad, Cheap, Not-Right, UnChristian, Uncatholic, Un_______(place religions' name here)

The same people who would support the creation and sustenance of Separate Fountains.....because

White People who drink from Black People fountains are bad, ugly, cheap, etc..... I'm sure that in those days, these little females would be TOTALLY against doing it because they would be verbally assaulted and systematically-humiliated.

I stress females because the same system that was designed to Create A Separation Of Black drinkers and White drinkers is the same system that seeks the subservance of the Female.

You think that "Johnny Cool" didn't use his "don't be a chicken....just hate blacks and call them names and stick with me, mr atlas while my daddy makes the laws that nurture our hate?"

like the John Lennon song says, "Woman is the nigger of the world"

--------------------
"This place is no mecca man, this place is fucked!" -lint

+Quote Post

5 V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

: · ·

· · ·

: 3rd December 2020 - 12:09 PM