> Eating Disorders, Mary-kate Needs A Sandwich
Sara
post Jul 6 2004, 02:44 AM
Post #31

Sunny Sunflower

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Nishtha @ Jul 6 2004, 10:19 PM)
Just this: diseases aren't a vanity. People who are ill one way or another should not be blamed for it.

that is one crucial point. it is not a vanity.

I do see your point i suppose i should read up on it a little more carefully before I pass such judgment
yeah you should. After reading up on it, from credible sources, please tell me what you think. and if your opinion hasnt changed, i see your opinion and lack of sympathy for them no different from those who have no sympathy for people starving in places like africa. after all, it's all opinions, no? unsure.gif

there are sociocultural factors that may contribute to the development of this disorder. it is not as simple as blaming the media or the tv, but the truth is, we are only human, and we do get influenced by what we see and hear daily. the pressure to be thin falls heavily on us, and dieting is almost the norm. youn girls that diet are at a higher risk of developing aneroxia than those who dont. of course that pressure is not the only factor, because not all of us are suffering from it, so there are other factors involved. the obesession of being so thin really just reflects lack of control in other aspects in their lives. a lot of those aneroxic girls come from families that are very strict with rigid house rules, and by straving themselves, that is one way of expressing control over their bodies and themselves. some family theorists suggest that children that refuse to eat like that are punishing their parents for alienating them at home. many many more possible factors are involved by the way, this is just a sample.

also, people that suffer aneroxia may also have depression and anxiety. do you judge people with depression and anxiety the same way you judge aneroxics?

i cannot believe that in this day and age, some still have hostile views towards people with psychological disorders. ermm.gif

oh and rev79, when they complain about being fat, it's because they have a distorted self image. they actually see themselves a lot fuller than what they are. if you ask an aneroxic girl to point to what body shape on a chart best represents her, she'll pick the fuller one. they truely have a distorted image.

--------------------
Reina, reina de mi vida Llena mi reino de alegria Tiene brillo en su mirada Goza de belleza consagra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
You are not a sl...
post Jul 6 2004, 04:08 AM
Post #32

Gay Bashing Homophobe

Group: Activist
Member No.: 2,035

I bet they don't have anorexia in Etheopia.

--------------------
[right]Caveat Emptor
user posted image[/right]

+Quote Post
Sara
post Jul 6 2004, 04:27 AM
Post #33

Sunny Sunflower

QUOTE (You are not a slave. @ Jul 7 2004, 12:08 AM)

no they dont. they have depression, anxiety, dissociative disorders and other psychological illnesses thu. does it make a difference? eating disorders are psychological disorders.

--------------------
Reina, reina de mi vida Llena mi reino de alegria Tiene brillo en su mirada Goza de belleza consagra

+Quote Post
Jingle
post Jul 6 2004, 06:08 AM
Post #34

Just Doin' My Thing

Member No.: 495

Thank you, Sarah, thank you...

This shit people are saying about anorexics is beyond ignorance -- it's pure fucking malice and it makes me seriously sick inside to know that there are people who think like that. I'm not going to say "fuck you, you ignorant slime" but i am going to ask you to really think about what you've said (those of you who have torn apart every single person who is either rich, anorexic, or rich and anorexic; i am neither or which, by the way) -- but you have no clue of what anorexia does to your mind, body, spirit -- heart. You have absolutely no comprehension of how very very horrible of a disease it is...if you are going to hate somebody, hate the the system for telling people what beauty is. Hate those modeling agencies who have lead to the starving, agonizing deaths of so many beautiful beautiful people. Have a heart, they are human beings, saying otherwise makes me think that you have become an unemotional creature, therefore, another product of the machine. Really, what you say is terribly malicious -- terribly sad.gif

-J cry.gif

This post has been edited by Jingle: Jul 6 2004, 06:09 AM

+Quote Post
ImperialAerosolK...
post Jul 6 2004, 06:15 AM
Post #35

Freedom Advocate

Member No.: 483

QUOTE (You are not a slave. @ Jul 6 2004, 12:08 PM)

no they just make their women do a variety of piercings to mark them as property.

+Quote Post
ratmgirl
post Jul 6 2004, 06:18 AM
Post #36

Renegade

Member No.: 36

Thank you J!!!
You said exacly what I was thinking. clap2.gif

--------------------
the whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, but wiser people are so full of doubts

- bertrand russell

+Quote Post
Intrepid_one
post Jul 6 2004, 11:50 AM
Post #37

Queen of the Nomads

Member No.: 2,280

OK first of all i am not ignorant, I happen to be an extremely intelligent, compassionate and vigilant person. I thought this was a place where people believed in been able to express there opinion freely. if you disagree that is fine, i respect you and your opinion, but name calling does not get your point across to me.

Blaming "socio-cultural factors" and "the system for telling them what beauty is supposed to be" is ridiculous. Maybe I approach this topic with an air of cynicism, but it’s only because it just goes to show how much the media controls EVERY aspect of your lives. PEOPLE ARE SHEEP. That’s a fact. If I have less sympathy for the damn Olsen twins then I’m sorry, but there are bigger fish to fry, bigger fights to fight.

You guys are great at twisting peoples words around and creating a "spin". Your like little mini PR firms in your own right. I do not lack sympathy for people with phycological problems or people starving in Africa. Just the Olsen twins.

I'm done with this now.

--------------------
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." The good Dr. HST RIP

+Quote Post
ImperialAerosolK...
post Jul 6 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #38

Freedom Advocate

QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 6 2004, 07:50 PM)
OK first of all i am not ignorant, I happen to be an extremely intelligent, compassionate and vigilant person. I thought this was a place where people believed in been able to express there opinion freely. if you disagree that is fine, i respect you and your opinion, but name calling does not get your point across to me.

Blaming "socio-cultural factors" and "the system for telling them what beauty is supposed to be" is ridiculous. Maybe I approach this topic with an air of cynicism, but it’s only because it just goes to show how much the media controls EVERY aspect of your lives. PEOPLE ARE SHEEP. That’s a fact. If I have less sympathy for the damn Olsen twins then I’m sorry, but there are bigger fish to fry, bigger fights to fight.

You guys are great at twisting peoples words around and creating a "spin". Your like little mini PR firms in your own right. I do not lack sympathy for people with phycological problems or people starving in Africa. Just the Olsen twins.

I'm done with this now.

i just dont understand how we cant have some concern for the rich.

what if zack were anorexic??
we'd be sending him pot brownies to stimulate his appetite and he's kinda rich.

This post has been edited by Lpldbloom: Jul 6 2004, 12:00 PM

+Quote Post
Intrepid_one
post Jul 6 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #39

Queen of the Nomads

Member No.: 2,280

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE RICH! what are you talking about? Stop taking my my answers out of content.

--------------------
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." The good Dr. HST RIP

+Quote Post
ImperialAerosolK...
post Jul 6 2004, 12:08 PM
Post #40

Freedom Advocate

QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 6 2004, 08:03 PM)
I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE RICH! what are you talking about? Stop taking my my answers out of content.

ok...

but dont you think that even tho the olsens are spoiled shits who deserve some pain that anorexia and bulimia on this level are not fairly compared to being concerned for the poor. we can see the effect it has had on our generation. and most importantly it is necessary to compare this to Magic Johnson testing positive. Magic doesn't get my sympathy for being a sex fiend. But I hope he gets better. And I care to see how he's doing.

+Quote Post
zapatista
post Jul 6 2004, 01:18 PM
Post #41

är du också likgiltig?

Member No.: 188

QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 6 2004, 02:50 PM)

You are free to have your opinion and that is fine.. but yours is just that... an opinion.. and not even one based on fact as Sarah's is. I think you are missing the bigger issue here that Sarah and others are trying to get across, this has nothing to do with the Olsen twins.. none of us really give a shit about them, but this coming to the front of media attention sheads light on a epidemic that is happening now.. 3 year olds already concerned with body image.. it's sick.. have you ever heard a 3 year old say they need to diet and mean it? It's sick.. and it needs to be addressed.. if you can't understand that, I dunno what compassion you have that you speak of. It is a MENTAL illness and should be treated as such.

--------------------
Hey we got the PMA. Hey we got the PMA.

+Quote Post
ImperialAerosolK...
post Jul 6 2004, 01:19 PM
Post #42

Freedom Advocate

QUOTE (zapatista @ Jul 6 2004, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 6 2004, 02:50 PM)

You are free to have your opinion and that is fine.. but yours is just that... an opinion.. and not even one based on fact as Sarah's is. I think you are missing the bigger issue here that Sarah and others are trying to get across, this has nothing to do with the Olsen twins.. none of us really give a shit about them, but this coming to the front of media attention sheads light on a epidemic that is happening now.. 3 year olds already concerned with body image.. it's sick.. have you ever heard a 3 year old say they need to diet and mean it? It's sick.. and it needs to be addressed.. if you can't understand that, I dunno what compassion you have that you speak of. It is a MENTAL illness and should be treated as such.

well said...

+Quote Post
Sara
post Jul 6 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #43

Sunny Sunflower

QUOTE (Intrepid_one @ Jul 7 2004, 07:50 AM)
Blaming "socio-cultural factors" and "the system for telling them what beauty is supposed to be" is ridiculous.

it's not blame, it's causes and reasons. that is radiculous? these observations are made by psychologists and theorists that worked with anorexics and people with eating disorders. unlike your cynical opinion, theirs is formed based on studies and actual work with those people. what's radiculous is you dismissing these studies and aiming your anger at the wrong target. angry at the media so you snap at people with eating disorders, super.

this is not bout the olsen twins, your opinion -->
but people with eating disorders make me sick. It’s a selfish fucking disease rooted from shameless vanity, self loathing and megalomania.
is clearly of anyone with an eating disorder. "people" you said, not the olsen twins. that^^ is very cruel ermm.gif and come to think, im not sure it makes much difference if you said that about the olsen twins. unsure.gif

its not that you are not entitled to your opinion, of course not, and you know that this debate is not about that. it is just a bit shocking to see that people feel so strongly about something without even researching it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Casbah
post Jul 6 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #44

Trouble Man

Member No.: 377

i like sandwhiches

--------------------
I fucking SAID this would happen!

-Karl Marx

+Quote Post
ImperialAerosolK...
post Jul 6 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #45

Freedom Advocate

QUOTE (casbah rebel @ Jul 7 2004, 02:55 AM)
i like sandwhiches

when homer's golfing and sees his club for the sand...

"mmm... an open faced sand-wedge"

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2020 - 08:45 PM