> Pride In Ones Race
Metzli
post Feb 24 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #1

forum gangsta
Group Icon

Group: MOTF
Member No.: 144

Do you guys think that it is wrong to be proud of being your own Race? This was brought up in My sociology class today... the lecturer said something like...
"people who gather within their own race, are internalizing themselves" Blah
and some other B.S. I mean.. I am VERY proud to be a Chicana, but does that mean that I am internalizing myself with my own people??? And there are Orgs. On campus that are for specific Ethnic groups but are not limited to that specifid group. I'm in an Student Org. Called MEChA and they have taken a lot of heat for being a supposed "extremist" and we've been called the Brown KKK, and there have been Campaigns speifically to shut our org down.. The UCLA Republicans to be specific..UCLA...... I know that this is kinda outdated... But the Issue still stands.. IS it WRONG for one to be extreme about their Race?? What about the New Black Panther Party?? Have they gone too Extreme???

and while we all know of these... The KKK? (not to mention they have committed dozens of hate Crimes)

When should it stop?

I don't know.. too much on my mind.. wacko.gif

Does this belong in Anything goes?? unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Rage-Babe: Feb 24 2004, 05:47 PM

--------------------
i wear my stunna glasses at night...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Underground
post Feb 24 2004, 06:09 PM
Post #2

Freedom Advocate

Group: Activist
Member No.: 921

if there are good reasons to be proud, than one should be proud

--------------------
There's a natural mystic blowing through the air;
If you listen carefully now you will hear.
It could be the first trumpet, might as well be the last:
Many more will have to die,
Many more will have to cry - don't ask me why.

Bob Marley

+Quote Post
Grimer 54
post Feb 24 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #3

loveable nemesis

Member No.: 1,381

of course you should be pround of your culture, and your heritage. Your ancestor's struggles paved the way for your existence, and thats a damn good thing to be proud of. Its good to celebrate one's traditions, to recall your past, and relish one's history.

At the same time, one must realize that despite what sicety says, each race is equal, and that judgement should be based on an individual, not his color or creed.

As long as you respect other cultures, as you much as you respect your own, it is perfectly fine to feel pride in your history. Defy assimilation, and carry on your lineage, ignore the ignorant, and maintain your integrity.

Thats where extremists, like the KKK, some religious sects, and the like, go overboard. They view their own race as superior, (thus others inferior, solely on their beliefs/race/etc) and ignorantly deny to give respect to other beliefs. Thats Where its at.

--------------------
This is the FiFTY-FOUR effect: (the loveable nemesis)
QUOTE(Grimer 54)
Society begets government. Anarchist theory is actually just a pseudo-intellectual state of denial, an idealistic illusion that can never be more than a wholly unfulfilled dream. Thus, it is a counter-productive measure that actually weakens, rather than improves the progress of society as government is inevitable in the maintenance of civilization. Therefore, it is infinitely more effective to pursue political upheaval through the system, rather then against the system. For despite all of its flaws, both Democracy and Capitalism are still rooted within the people themselves by rational and realistic means. That is not to say I advocate the status quo, but instead, a moral pursuit to right the endless wrongs brought on by the evils of human nature, via an unintimidated, undaunted, unmitigated spirit of liberty and justice for all, rather then the destructive hypocrisy of your so-called "revolution."

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it".
- attributed to Voltaire

Still a sheltered idealist... but learning:
This is no Oasis.

+Quote Post
Moremi
post Feb 24 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #4

I what do! Eat drums!

Member No.: 26

No, I don't think there is anything wrong with being proud of your race or heritage or culture. The organizations you mentioned probably wouldn't even exist if minorities were being treated fairly and not being abused for the color of our skin. The same conservatives that tell us to pull ourselves up by our boot straps want to scream racism the moment we start getting organized to do something about our condition. The truth is, they don't want us to do anything for ourselves except stay at the bottom of society. I'm glad these groups exist. From what I've read, I can't see anything wrong with MEChA. I don't think the comparision to the KKK is fair. But that's apart of their game, I think, so people will stop supporting you.

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
nerve
post Feb 24 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #5

Activist

Group: banned
Member No.: 546

QUOTE (Underground @ Feb 25 2004, 02:09 AM)
if there are good reasons to be proud, than one should be proud

that's funny

+Quote Post
Casbah
post Feb 24 2004, 06:53 PM
Post #6

Trouble Man

Member No.: 377

even though my family didnt get here in america till the early, early 20th century, im still ashamed at what white people have done before then and what many still do today, i dont want to be associated or connected in any way to those people, in some ways its like being blamed for the sins of the father

This post has been edited by casbah rebel: Feb 24 2004, 06:55 PM

--------------------
I fucking SAID this would happen!

-Karl Marx

+Quote Post
Metzli
post Feb 25 2004, 01:45 AM
Post #7

forum gangsta
Group Icon

I see what you all of you are saying.. hmm.gif I guess I was just feeling a bit wacko.gif, But cool thanks for the Input!! grin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sara
post Feb 25 2004, 01:57 AM
Post #8

Sunny Sunflower

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (casbah rebel @ Feb 25 2004, 03:53 PM)
even though my family didnt get here in america till the early, early 20th century, im still ashamed at what white people have done before then and what many still do today, i dont want to be associated or connected in any way to those people, in some ways its like being blamed for the sins of the father

no see, dont be ashamed of being white, that's crazy talk...

i can understand u being angry, so the key thing here is to be aware of the mistakes that are being made by ppl of ur ethnic group and instead of feeling bad bout it, do something bout it? (i am not suggesting that u r not doing anything bout..im just saying smile2.gif )

--------------------
Reina, reina de mi vida Llena mi reino de alegria Tiene brillo en su mirada Goza de belleza consagra

+Quote Post
Sara
post Feb 25 2004, 02:02 AM
Post #9

Sunny Sunflower

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

no i dont think its wrong to be proud of ur race...ever...i mean being proud of who u r, ur race and heritege is what preserves ur culture. if ppl lose interst in their culture or associate themselves with other cultures they end up quite troubled...coz they arent fully accepted by the culture that they're trying to be associated with, and they are denied by their native culture...this is so offtopic isnt it? i guess what im trying to say is, our pride in who we are, preserves who we are as individuals.

--------------------
Reina, reina de mi vida Llena mi reino de alegria Tiene brillo en su mirada Goza de belleza consagra

+Quote Post
Straycat
post Feb 25 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #10

WHO KILLED BAMBI?

Member No.: 1,487

im not ashamed of being white....but being proud of being white sounds pretty KKK.....

i dunno..

i think we should be proud of the things we did or could influence like our job or character. i didnt choose to be white, nobody asked me if i wanted to be white i was just born like that ( and only to be able to survive in in this particular climat i live in).

and germans, english or french are white too-should i be proud of their history too?

i would replace the word "pride" with "acceptance".... hmm.gif

.....and where one race ends and other begins? i think we're talkin here more bout culture...

i dunno....what do you think bout that? huh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
I've got a gun you know, and I'd use it,
I wouldn't....I wouldn't I can't get it out you know,
What I mean, if I got a gun, I would use it,
But maybe I would, but maybe I wouldn't...

+Quote Post
NoiseUnited
post Feb 25 2004, 11:12 AM
Post #11

Urban Guerrilla

Member No.: 1,727

Being who you are has little do to with your race. So being proud of your race isn't a good thing in my opinion. But if a group of people were all being shunned for the same reason, you can expect them to all feel the same about that and would probablly unite in this feeling. Further more, being a race doesn't really relate you any closer of someone of the same race if they don't share the same background. RageBabe, keep your groups united opinion out in the open, we need more people like you in America! grin.gif and Straycat, being proud of who you are is ok, and certain Caucasians in history certainly have fought for good. You should be proud of that and aspire to do likewise, but being that caucasians are the most wealthy and most enpowered, we must recognize other cultures as equal, especially ones that have enriched our own. To better the human experience currentlly in place.

+Quote Post
Straycat
post Feb 25 2004, 11:25 AM
Post #12

WHO KILLED BAMBI?

Member No.: 1,487

....yeah, man...but im polish-we're not wealthy nor empowered...but still white..we're hunged somewhere in the middle huh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
I've got a gun you know, and I'd use it,
I wouldn't....I wouldn't I can't get it out you know,
What I mean, if I got a gun, I would use it,
But maybe I would, but maybe I wouldn't...

+Quote Post
Metzli
post Feb 25 2004, 11:25 AM
Post #13

forum gangsta
Group Icon

In some ways I feel that RACE has A LOT to do with who you are. The way certain groups have been affected in the past has only been because of your race and/or skin color!! For example, During the Civil RIghts Movement, there were all these people of Color and many Women and of Course there was White Supporter, But what I am saying is that Just being the Same Race as someone else gave you som much To relate to Bacause they are Dealing with the same issues... liek they way they are treated in Public or the way they have been treated in the past.. You know.. I think that it's important to recognize the struggle that ones ancestors went through... The Civil Rights movement brought out so much!! Many Groupd were UNITED simply because they were the same race or skin color, Because that was what they were struggling for!! Today, you don't see that.. why?? I'm not saying that we should all Protest and Rally like the 60's and 70's, BUT we have so much to fight for and there hasn't been DRAMATIC change... Why??? wacko.gif I am going wacko.gif again... This Issue goes BEYOND being Proud of ones Race.. Becasue a lot of the History is the reason why people are PROUD!! that's probably why (Some) white people are ahsamed of being white... they know it's not their fault.. but are a bit ashamed of the history.. Okay I am Rambling... but I hope I make sense to some...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Metzli
post Feb 25 2004, 11:28 AM
Post #14

forum gangsta
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rage-Babe @ Feb 24 2004, 05:45 PM)
Does this belong in Anything goes?? unsure.gif

It's HOT oh yeah!!! IT's HOT!!! clap2.gif

Sorry zshy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Casbah
post Feb 25 2004, 11:40 AM
Post #15

Trouble Man

Member No.: 377

you couldnt be more right there, your not rambling rage-babe, i am angry at history but i do think the best thing i could do to "make up for it", is to do everything within my own power to make sure nothing similar happens in the future

(sorry i cant do quotes cus my computer wont copy and paste..cant do the smilies any more either since my computer had the big stroke about a week an a half ago..)

i wish people were as genuinely active and vocal with their discontent as they were in the 60's and 70's

--------------------
I fucking SAID this would happen!

-Karl Marx

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2020 - 01:08 PM