Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Racism?, Have you been a victim?
ChiLanGa
post Jun 8 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #406

Mexican down under mate! orale :)

Group: Activist
Member No.: 2,952

Well being half Mexican half Uruguayan, i look neither Mexican, or Uruguayan.

Living in a multicultural society like Australia... people like to assume what nationality a person might be. Ive copped Turkish, Russian, Italian, German, Lebanese, you name it. People cant pick it on me.

The only Racism ive experienced is when i played along with the lebanese role.
I was called a "Fucken Dirty Arab" .... "Filthy Wog" ..... Several other insults were thrown my way.

Yep, racism can be quite nasty. I was horrified.

Little did they know, i wouldnt even know how to say hello in Lebanese.

--------------------
"What? The land of the FREE?! WHOEVER TOLD U THAT IS YOUR ENEMY!!!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
defiance
post Jun 15 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #407

mind of a revolutionary

Member No.: 1,117

^It must have been interesting to be insulted for being something you actually aren't.

I have never been the victim of racism, but I have heard a fair amount of it spewed out by people I know or have met. The wierd thign is that sometimes peopel who are racist on the one hand can also act very ncie and friendly on the other hand. Which goes to show how it really is a product of ignorance. Generally nice people can sometimes turn out to be extremely racist. On the oen hand that's kidn of disturbing and makes you question human nature, but on the other hand it also can make you feel hopeful that with more education and knowledge that people who are at one point racist even to a very high degree can be transformed.

And by the way, Lostphoenix, I totally agree with you what you said about Israel and Jewish people. It's sad how it happened with Israel, that there couldn't have been more of a cooperation between the Palestinian and Jewish people. It's sad and upsettign that Israel became so expansionist and so oppressive toward Palestinians. But like you said, blame the ones who got power and are responsible for the way it turned out, not the Jewish peopel as a whole. There's many Israelis who are against the ongoing Israeli agression, and not to mention there are tons of Jews who do not live in Israel. People who use political occurances to justify racist beliefs are not really examining the issue very deeply. And that's putting it very lightly.

+Quote Post
Sara
post Jun 16 2005, 03:44 AM
Post #408

Sunny Sunflower

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

QUOTE(defiance @ Jun 16 2005, 04:32 PM)
nice people can sometimes turn out to be extremely racist. On the oen hand that's kidn of disturbing and makes you question human nature, but on the other hand it also can make you feel hopeful that with more education and knowledge that people who are at one point racist even to a very high degree can be transformed.
[right][snapback]178026[/snapback][/right]

u know i am not as optimistic as you are...

i know few friends of mine who are racist towards the native new zealanders. i mean they are nice to them but they always problematise them and view them as a burden. they also hold negative views of the different asian ethnic groups in NZ (they always refer to them as asian, sometimes "fucking asian") and it makes me cringe, like really i just dont know what to say to them.. but they r so nice to other ppl, like they are nice to me and their other friends. i do totally agree with u that it is a matter of ignorance, but i can tell u they have absolutely no interest in changing their mind. we have engaged in conversations in the past about things like "Maoris just lazy and use up all social security money", or things about "asians cant speak english". and we have and i managed to show them the flaws in their arguments (very nicely and politely too), but all of the ones i know who have that mentality just refuse to change their mind. so, and i hate to say this, i don't think that being nice necessarily gives us hope.

i always thought of these things as just being different dimensions to who we are. i mean Bush is a terrorist, but i dont doubt he's a loving father. (may be he is, but not coz he's a terrorist) u know what i mean?

eh rambling, sorry ermm.gif

--------------------
Reina, reina de mi vida Llena mi reino de alegria Tiene brillo en su mirada Goza de belleza consagra

+Quote Post
defiance
post Jun 16 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #409

mind of a revolutionary

Well I know what you mean, and it's probably true with some people, but I fidn it hard to believe that all these tons of people who fall for crap like racism are just evil-hearted demons that hate people just cause they like hating. I heard this one story about how this Jewish family moved to some city or town or something (I forget where it was, soemwhere in the US though), and soon they started getting these death threts from somebody over the phone. Later the guy finds out its this Klan leader who had some kind of physical disability (I think his legs were paralized or something like that). So when the Klan guy called him again and threatened him, the Jewish guy said something like "I heard about your problem, and if you need any help with anything I'll be glad to help you, you can just call me and ask." The Klan guy was apparently so moved by it that he later called the Jewish guy back and asked to come over and help him get rid of all Klan stuff, which he did and then he left the Klan and they became close friends up until the time he died.

So if a leader from the Ku Klux Klan can be so transformed like that, I have to believe that an everyday person who is racist can be equally transformed. I just think it takes something to sort of touch them personally. That's one of the main principles behind non-violence, that it has the power to change peoples hearts and turn them from enemies into friends. Like you said, it's just one certain dimension of their haracter. If you can get them to start seeign that issue through another, better dimension of their own character, you can transform their whole outlook. Sometiems education does it, other times simple conversation does it, and other times it take anincredible act of non-violence like that one I just mentioned above, or on a larger scale like the Civil Rights Movement. But always the key is to change peoples hearts, to change their whole view of it, to get them to see it in a wholly different light.

This post has been edited by defiance: Jun 16 2005, 07:55 PM

+Quote Post
insurrection
post Jun 16 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #410

Very busy w. school >_<

Member No.: 2,022

^ Well as I have said many times before (in other threads) I think racism is fueled by poverty, desperation, and miseducation. (Hitler took advantage of this after the Great Depression.) I think this is why very often racists are ill-informed working class or poor whites...they are looking for somebody to blame for their failures, and they point the finger at their black brethren, rather than the aristocracy. So I think it is too easy to merely say that "racist people just love to hate things."

--------------------

+Quote Post
defiance
post Jun 16 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #411

mind of a revolutionary

Exactly.

+Quote Post
rev79
post Jun 16 2005, 09:08 PM
Post #412

Nun Chuka Kata

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 412

^A one-word post by defiance. blink.gif

(I have nothing more to add to this thread)

--------------------
I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us, you're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end, I came here to tell you how this is going to begin. Now, I'm going to hang up this phone, and I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world...where anything is possible.
Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

+Quote Post
defiance
post Jun 16 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #413

mind of a revolutionary

QUOTE(rev79 @ Jun 16 2005, 11:08 PM)
^A one-word post by defiance.  blink.gif

[right][snapback]178188[/snapback][/right]

laughing.gif Shut up.

+Quote Post
insurrection
post Jun 17 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #414

Very busy w. school >_<

Member No.: 2,022

QUOTE(rev79 @ Jun 17 2005, 01:08 AM)

QUOTE(defiance @ Jun 17 2005, 01:42 AM)
QUOTE(rev79 @ Jun 16 2005, 11:08 PM)

laughing.gif Shut up.
[right][snapback]178201[/snapback][/right]

lmao... laughing.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zach2
post Nov 22 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #415

Junior Activist

Member No.: 7,700

I live in the UK in a town with 100k+ people living here out of which there probably 99.9 percent white, I don't know of any radicaly racist people living here but the ignorance is rather astounding, I even admit that upon meeting a person from a different racial group to myself i feel a bit nervous, not because i think they are a threat but rather because i will say something that will offend them. Dumb huh? My apologies. I am saving money to get out of this town and experience the world and different cultures and races. I hope to come home and tell people they should do the same.

--------------------
stop the traffik
Wateraid
Fair Trade
(Watch this space for more groups you should support)
Suggestions? let me know here

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 26 27 28
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2020 - 09:05 PM