> Using The Word "gay"
Dreamcatcher
post Jun 30 2003, 03:33 PM
Post #61

Urban Guerrilla

Group: Activist
Member No.: 315

QUOTE (cosmic @ May 9 2003, 05:30 PM)
Theres been a few posts on this board with people using the word "gay" or "faggot". Some say its "just a term" used with out any prejudices, while others get offended no matter what. My opinion is that using those are a "loaded gun". Meaning, they already have derogatory meaning around them when people use them in that fashion. Like saying..."that's ugly", some might say ..."that's gay". Does gay=ugly, bad, cheap,...etc.? What do you think about using those terms? We should learn and discuss everybodies opinion about this, no flames.

cosmic

I think using the word "faggot" is just plain wrong. I think using the word gay to mean something other then what it really means is disgusting.

My friend Melissa said to me one time "Do I tell you my cousin is gay?" I said "No when did he tell everybody?" She said "A few months ago and I'm far from against it but now everytime I say something is gay my aunt freaks out, I'm not homophobic I just say it when something is stupid." I said "That's why Melissa" She had nothing to say after that.

I see no point in it. There are already words for those things use those. Two of my bestfriends are gay and I see everyday how it effects them. I've never used those words in that way even before they told me and I see no reason to.

--------------------
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
’cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? ooh!
Some say it’s just a part of it:
We’ve got to fulfil de book.
Won’t you help to sing
Dese songs of freedom? -
’cause all I ever had:
Redemption songs -
All I ever had:
Redemption songs:
These songs of freedom,
Songs of freedom.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Everdream
post Jul 1 2003, 04:38 AM
Post #62

Urban Guerrilla

Member No.: 133

well the misunderstanding is that through time, the word 'gay' has evolved into another for 'shit' 'useless' etc, and most likely doesnt reflect personal opinion. why it's happened? my only understanding is that its well known that homosexuals were once and in most cases are still looked down upon, and through the ages the word has been commonly used but in general has taken on a different meaning..

for example.. how many people do u know that say "man thats fuckn sick"... 4 years ago i woulda been like ''sick????'

im probably rambling and not making sense but i just think its use is too heavily contested and through time has just become an alternative to 'shit' or 'crap' because of its roots holding negativity, and through continuation taking on a different meaning.

--------------------
"free speech is alot like money - some have more then others" - RATM

+Quote Post
ucanrefer2meas7
post Jul 2 2003, 04:52 PM
Post #63

Junior Activist

Member No.: 506

QUOTE (rage baby @ May 10 2003, 06:29 PM)
ya i'm tired of ppl using the word "gay" as an adjective.

I really don't think it matters what words you use, the only thing people should be concerned about is the meaning behind the words, not connotations. Take it in context and hear it like it was meant to be heard.

This post has been edited by ucanrefer2meas7: Jul 2 2003, 04:53 PM

+Quote Post
cosmic
post Jul 2 2003, 04:57 PM
Post #64

Magneto, alpha(E/H)^2
Group Icon

Group: ZDLRNet Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (ucanrefer2meas7 @ Jul 2 2003, 05:52 PM)
Take it in context and hear it like it was meant to be heard.

Can you expand on that?

Welcome, BTW. wavenew.gif

--------------------

Classic

+Quote Post
R3N3G4D3
post Jul 2 2003, 06:01 PM
Post #65

^Our Lady Liberty?^

Member No.: 362

joking around and calling someone gay meaning your stupid or you idiot is one this...hating someone becuz they are gay is a nother....i am not saying its wrong or right...im saying God made us to cherish the oppisite sex (Adam and Eve) think about it

--------------------
[font=Times][SIZE=7][color=red]In memory of 'the best band
in the fuckin universe'...

+Quote Post
Everdream
post Jul 8 2003, 06:33 AM
Post #66

Urban Guerrilla

Member No.: 133

well by saying that renegade ur assuming no one here is atheist - think about it

--------------------
"free speech is alot like money - some have more then others" - RATM

+Quote Post
ratmgirl
post Jul 11 2003, 05:34 AM
Post #67

Renegade

Member No.: 36

QUOTE (R3N3G4D3 @ Jul 3 2003, 02:01 AM)
joking around and calling someone gay meaning your stupid or you idiot is one this...hating someone becuz they are gay is a nother....i am not saying its wrong or right...im saying God made us to cherish the oppisite sex (Adam and Eve) think about it

I'm atheist, so this Adam and Eve thing doesn't really apply to me. What drives me batty is when people say "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve." Oh, give me a break.
I find the word gay, fine. But "faggot" now, that's entirely different.
I may say, "that's gay" as in stupid, like a lot of people do. It's not like i'm saying "oh, that's faggy" or whatever because that's just not cool.

--------------------
the whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, but wiser people are so full of doubts

- bertrand russell

+Quote Post
fishy!
post Feb 12 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #68

Activist

Member No.: 5,365

It should be used in its correct term. i am very sencitive about the way it's used. I'm glad to see others that feel the same way. thanks

--------------------
It's Five!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2020 - 07:40 PM