> The Word: 'nigger'.
V
dreamer997
Jul 12 2003, 08:22 AM

Words are the most powerdul weapon we have these days

Leftwriter
29-June 03
The Netherlands

I don't know about you... but I think this word has alot of hate in it.
But all these capitalists rappers are using it too but then in effection. I really don't understand why. Because the word has too much power to use it in a homeboy way.

What do y'all think?

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of the war"
Plato

Now go we in content
To liberty, and not to banishment."

--From As You Like It (I, iii, 139-14)
William Shakespeare
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rev79
Jul 12 2003, 10:17 AM

Nun Chuka Kata

Moderators
29-April 03
On top of you

I think this word can refer to any ignorant person..but obviously if its spoken in the vicinity of an African-American they're not going to tolerate it, unless maybe you yourself are an African-American.

--------------------
I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us, you're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end, I came here to tell you how this is going to begin. Now, I'm going to hang up this phone, and I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world...where anything is possible.
Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

+Quote Post
ArmTheHomeless
Jul 12 2003, 10:51 AM

Marxist/Guitar Terrorist

Activist
30-November 02
Burbank,California

im an african-american, that word is the symbol of hatred, yes alot of capitlaist rappers do use that just to sell more records, same thing as they exploit women, and show off how big there car is. yes i have bin called that word plenty of times at my school to.

--------------------
user posted image
the good old days......
"I believe that there will ultimately be a clash between the oppressed and those that do the oppressing. I believe that there will be a clash between those who want freedom, justice and equality for everyone and those who want to continue the systems of exploitation."
Malcolm X

"Each time a country is freed, we say, it is a defeat for the world imperialist system, but we must agree that real liberation or breaking away from the imperialist system is not achieved by the mere act of proclaiming independence or winning an armed victory in a revolution. Freedom is achieved when imperialist economic domination over a people is brought to an end." - Ernesto "Che" Guevara

+Quote Post
RevolutionNerd
Jul 12 2003, 12:36 PM

Please Smile

Activist
11-March 03

I hate the word "nigger" but I dunno how the black people wanna be called.

--------------------
Zacks answer to the 'Fraternal Order' of the police, which think, that Rage support 'Cop-Killer':

"We don't support any kind of killers, especially not killer cops ."

+Quote Post
Renegades
Jul 12 2003, 05:25 PM

Estou perdido...

Moderators
30-November 02
SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE...

I think the most worring part about the word "nigger" is because it's becoming more and more commonly used in mainstream music (50 Cent, Ice Cube, Dr Dre, Nate Dogg, Snoop Dogg etc...) and the kids who listen to that stuff really do pick up on it. I've seen kids use this word like it's socially exceptable - and judging by the fact they're decked out in Fubu and D12 gear, I'm guessing that these kiddies listen to all that commerialised crap.

I don't know if you use this term in America, but when there's a little white boy running around dressed like 2Pac they're called "Wiggers", which is a word play on the term "White Nigger".

--------------------
"Do not be afraid of death so much as an inadequate life” - Bertolt Brecht

"I don't listen to what art critics say. I don't know anybody who needs a critic to find out what art is."
- Jean-Michel Basquiat

+Quote Post
zapatista
Jul 12 2003, 07:11 PM

är du också likgiltig?

Moderators
29-January 03
Salina Cruz, Oaxaca

Well, it's like i said before...words are just letters...they only have the power that you give them. I think the key here tho is to be respectful of our fellow humans and always keep in mind that these "words" do offend some people. Respect is key.

And I know rappers use this word all the time like it doesn't mean anything..but what goes for some doesn't always go for others. And just cause it's become part of everyday language, doesn't make it anymore/less offensive to people...and I don't think that gives anyone the right to start using it.

--------------------
Hey we got the PMA. Hey we got the PMA.

+Quote Post
Renegades
Jul 12 2003, 07:48 PM

Estou perdido...

Moderators
30-November 02
SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE...

^ True, words only have the power that you give them - and everyone gives words their own power. To some people, the words "nigger" or "fuck" are deemed highly offencive (especially from our grandparents generation), while to some people they're no more offencive than "cunt" or any anything. It depends on the people, the culture, that surrounds you. If you grow up using words like these then, like you said zapatista, they'll use the word all the time like it doesn't mean anything.

50 years ago, the word "gay" ment "happy". However, nowdays we all know the first meaning is sexual. Things change, and I wouldn't be suprised if the "power value" for a word like "nigger" declines over the next few decades (if it hasn't started already).

--------------------
"Do not be afraid of death so much as an inadequate life” - Bertolt Brecht

"I don't listen to what art critics say. I don't know anybody who needs a critic to find out what art is."
- Jean-Michel Basquiat

+Quote Post
Moremi
Jul 12 2003, 08:40 PM

I what do! Eat drums!

Activist
30-November 02
Nigeria

QUOTE (RevolutionNerd @ Jul 12 2003, 04:36 PM)
I hate the word "nigger" but I dunno how the black people wanna be called.

unsure.gif

Well, I guess it depends on what part of the world you live. In the United States black or African American are used. Negro, colored and obviously nigger are considered offensive. Personally, I prefer African American, or more specifically Nigerian American. Or drop all of that and just call me a Yoruba wink.gif

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
Moremi
Jul 12 2003, 09:02 PM

I what do! Eat drums!

Activist
30-November 02
Nigeria

QUOTE (dreamer997 @ Jul 12 2003, 12:22 PM)
I don't know about you... but I think this word has alot of hate in it.
But all these capitalists rappers are using it too but then in effection. I really don't understand why. Because the word has too much power to use it in a homeboy way.

What do y'all think?

I don't like the word but I guess I've learned to accept it in some contexts. It's not just capitalist rappers using it. There are conscientious rappers that use it too, like Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Black Thought and even Zack de la Rocha. There is that one line from Centre of the Storm where Zack says "superstitious niggas get played like a tarot". I've given that line a lot of thought but for the life of me I can't figure out what he's trying to say. However, I am sure it wasn't meant hatefully and I wasn't offended by it.

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
Everdream
Jul 12 2003, 11:18 PM

Urban Guerrilla

Activist
25-December 02

i reckon nigger is just taking on a different meaning through time - as opposed to being a racial slur its become kind of a replacement for 'brother'' u know. like - shit yea nigger - shit yeah brother : both not taking on literal meaning?

--------------------
"free speech is alot like money - some have more then others" - RATM

+Quote Post
ImperialAerosolK...
Jul 13 2003, 02:01 AM

Freedom Advocate

Activist
21-June 03
Vermont

I think words like "nigger" and "faggot" are almost earned. I remember reading an interview in Grand Royal where Mike D called Russell Simmons "nigger" and I don't recall any riots. Let's put it this way -- Mike D is blacker than OJ Simpson and has earned the credibility amongst his black friends. Same goes with gay people. As the only straight guy on St. Mark's Place in 1993 I was suddenly immersed in gay culture. I HAD to be hip or I would have been humiliated. And with that came the casual use of the word "faggot". Like was said words are combinations of letters and have no use without emotion.

+Quote Post
Sara
Jul 13 2003, 03:12 AM

Sunny Sunflower

Moderators
30-November 02
Isla del Sol

I find myself offended when people use terms like "negro" and "nigga" to refer to an African person, mainly because nigga implies ignorance, and negro was used to sure to refer to skin colour but it implied being inferior, which is a racist notion.

I am not offended when I hear rappers say nigga, and I guess it's because they are African Americans calling each other that and I don't understand how they can be racist against each other. And like said before it is replacing the word "brother", this is how I feel, yet I would much prefer if the use of the word is just eliminated.

My biology teacher back in high skool said "negro" once, and I don’t remember what she was talking bout, but I asked her to not say it because it's racist, and she was surprised, she said "no, nigga is racist, negro is not, what else am I supposed to call them" I found this severe…but then again, could it be possible that she was so ignorant that she didn't know that negro is not the nicest way to describe someone?

does the context matter? Sarah jones said "negro" in her song "blood" in that context, she wasn't being racist i'm sure.

Awareness and knowledge. mellow.gif

I also would like to say that we are all equally human, and that variations in our skin tones, and eye shapes and how big our noses are mean nothing.

--------------------
Reina, reina de mi vida Llena mi reino de alegria Tiene brillo en su mirada Goza de belleza consagra

+Quote Post
ImperialAerosolK...
Jul 14 2003, 12:48 PM

Freedom Advocate

Activist
21-June 03
Vermont

I may have misspoke when i said that words were just combinations of letters. In that case...then a lot of good poetry would be negated. Words ARE powerful things.

+Quote Post
Moremi
Jul 14 2003, 01:35 PM

I what do! Eat drums!

Activist
30-November 02
Nigeria

QUOTE (Lpldbloom @ Jul 13 2003, 06:01 AM)
I think words like "nigger" and "faggot" are almost earned. I remember reading an interview in Grand Royal where Mike D called Russell Simmons "nigger" and I don't recall any riots. Let's put it this way -- Mike D is blacker than OJ Simpson and has earned the credibility amongst his black friends. Same goes with gay people. As the only straight guy on St. Mark's Place in 1993 I was suddenly immersed in gay culture. I HAD to be hip or I would have been humiliated. And with that came the casual use of the word "faggot". Like was said words are combinations of letters and have no use without emotion.

I was unaware that Mike D said that... huh.gif

If Russel Simmons is dumb enough to have a white man call him nigger and he did nothing, then he's a fucking idiot. But had it been me, I would have whooped his ass and wiped the floor with it. mad.gif

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
ImperialAerosolK...
Jul 14 2003, 01:45 PM

Freedom Advocate

Activist
21-June 03
Vermont

ZDLRFan,
You're right. I've been giving this subject alot of thought and it seems unfair that the word be understated for purposes of hipness. Thanks for your insight.

-Maurice

+Quote Post

31 V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

: · ·

· · ·

: 28th November 2020 - 01:57 AM