post Sep 17 2003, 03:08 AM
Post #16

Estou perdido...

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 20

Thanks walkswithbears, your Baldwin made a lot more sense! smile.gif

--------------------
"Do not be afraid of death so much as an inadequate life” - Bertolt Brecht

"I don't listen to what art critics say. I don't know anybody who needs a critic to find out what art is."
- Jean-Michel Basquiat
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Recor S.
post Sep 17 2003, 01:36 PM
Post #17

g u i l t y

Group: Activist
Member No.: 774

Thanks. smile.gif

+Quote Post
RAGEist
post Oct 23 2003, 08:55 AM
Post #18

Corvus Corax

Member No.: 814

Hey, thanks a million 4 posting this, i've always wondered about alot of what Zach says, one thing tho, in one of the entrys for "Zapata" (c.1879-1919, Mexican revolutionary) you didnt mention that A) he was the Zapata that D la O worked with an B) he captured Mexico city 3 times. Here's the entry at www.dictionary.com for him:

Za·pa·ta Pronunciation Key (z-pät, sä-pätä), Emiliano. 1879?-1919.

Mexican revolutionary who led a revolt (1910-1919) for agrarian reforms, during which he captured Mexico City three times.

Anywayz, this is a great list, i like it alot grin.gif

--------------------
Well I worked really hard on this signature and then realized it was bigger than the forum allows. You know you want to check it out.
Democracy Now! ***Independent News***

+Quote Post
RAGEist
post Oct 23 2003, 12:32 PM
Post #19

Corvus Corax

Member No.: 814

sorry, bad link, heres a good one i hope www.dictionary.com

--------------------
Well I worked really hard on this signature and then realized it was bigger than the forum allows. You know you want to check it out.
Democracy Now! ***Independent News***

+Quote Post
aphydro
post Nov 5 2003, 02:58 PM
Post #20

Activist

Member No.: 198

thanks! this encyclopedia/ratm thing is fantastic..

+Quote Post
LaPoderosa
post Nov 6 2003, 12:31 PM
Post #21

ARTivIST

Member No.: 986

Niiice, props to the both of you!

--------------------
not in my name

+Quote Post
Madcat05
post Dec 13 2003, 07:10 PM
Post #22

Tim is my fav. bassist!

Member No.: 1,256

thanks man

--------------------
"We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it." - Ernesto Che Guevara

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man." - Ernesto "Che" Guevara

+Quote Post
smartkidsareus
post Mar 16 2004, 11:47 AM
Post #23

Junior Activist

Member No.: 1,750

QUOTE (Renegades @ Aug 19 2003, 08:05 AM)
^ You won't find a list like this one, trust me. There are heaps of similar ones, but like I said, this is the up-to-date and knowledgeable one on the web. It's actually been around for years, although I'm happy to say that I've updated or added a lot of that information myself; which is why it's here.

I like your quote, Renegade. I just quit my job, so it makes sense to me. I like your middel finger drawing, too. wavenew.gif

+Quote Post
Banksy
post Mar 22 2004, 02:02 PM
Post #24

Freedom Fighter

Member No.: 1,603

nice, but what does im housin' mean

--------------------
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
Zachfan
post Mar 22 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #25

Activist

Member No.: 1,847

this is great. some of these things i had no idea that's what they meant.

+Quote Post
AllPowerToThePeo...
post Jul 24 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #26

Street Fighting Man

Member No.: 2,444

QUOTE(Renegades @ Jun 13 2003, 02:48 AM)
Cassius
A second interpretation has recently appeared: Cassius was one of the conspirators who assassinated (by stabbing) Caesar in Shakespeare's play "Julius Caesar," with their motivation declared as Caesar becoming too power hungry.
[right][snapback]25857[/snapback][/right]

This actually happen, Cassius was the one that gave the grace blow to Julius Cesar, that was the first of the self call Cesars (Roman emperadors)....

Fourth Reich
Again, I'm not entirely sure. It has some conotation to the USA being the 4th in a line of world super powers. With the previous being Nazi Germany.

Is actually a reference to the Bush family. Look for: The Rise Of The Fourth Reich

Genocide
In international law, the intentional and systematic destruction, wholly or in part, by a government of a national, racial, religious, or ethnic group. Although the term genocide was first coined in 1944, the crime itself has been committed often in history. It was initially used to describe the systematic campaign for the extermination of peoples carried on by Nazi Germany, in its attempts in the 1930s and 40s to destroy the entire European Jewish community, and to eliminate other national groups in Eastern Europe.

Genocide is also used for a crime that involve mass killing....

La Raza
La Raza is a term meaning literally, "the race," and adopted as meaning those whose racial heritage is both European and indigenous Central American Indian. "La la" or "La la land" is a slang term used for Los Angeles, adopted because of its L.A. abbreviation. [7-3-10-2] "is like Gaza on to the dawn of Intifada" The Intifada was a youth uprising in the Palestinian occupied territories of Israel from 1987 to 1993, in protest against the Israeli occupation and politics. The Intifada involved demonstrations, riots, strikes, and violence, and took place in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

La Raza is a very usual term used by chicanos (Mexican-American people)...

Manifest Destiny
"Manifest Destiny" was the social theory in the USA in the 19th century which claimed that the USA and its white, Christian citizens were chosen by God. Because of this "choosing" they were entitled to any land they pleased, despite who already owned it (not limited to Native Americans; also including other countries), with the purpose being that they spread their religion of Christianity and their concept of "civilization" to the other, "inferior", people of the world.

This was the pretext to invade México....

Marley
Robert Nesta Marley was a musical and political visionary from Jamaica who wrote and played reggae music, virtually inventing the style as we know it today. Much of his work was overtly political. His first full album was "Catch a Fire."

a.k.a. Bob Marley shifty.gif

Nina
Babylonian goddess of the watery deep - also the smallest of Christopher Columbus's ships used on his voyage to discovering the 'New World'.

This is actually: NIÑA, as La Niña, the Christopher Columbus boat...

Partido Revolucionario Institucional: Span. Partido Revolucionario Institucional (PRI)
Mexican political party. Established in 1929 as the National Revolutionary party by former President Plutarco Calles, it brought together the country's governmental, military, and agricultural leaders in a program of socioeconomic reform. In 1938 it was renamed the Mexican Revolutionary party, and in 1946 it acquired its present name. During the rest of the century all Mexican presidents and most officials belonged to the PRI, which was often accused of corruption and electoral fraud. Its victory margins decreased in the 1980s and 90s, and it lost some state elections to its opponents, but the party still remained Mexico's dominant political group.

The PRI lost the presidence in 2000 to the PAN (Partido Acción Nacional), the main opposition, the actual President of México is the winner of those elections, but, yes, the PRI remains as the more powerful political party....

Santa Maria
Santa Maria (1990 pop. 61,284), Santa Barbara co., S Calif., near San Luis Obispo Bay; inc. 1905. A growing city, its population nearly doubled between 1970 and 1990. The Vandenberg Air Force Base is nearby. This was also the name of the largest boat used by Christopher Columbus on his voyage to discovering the 'New World'.

In the song Sleep Now In The Fire, this is only used as the Christopher Columbus boat, as "La Niña, la Pinta, la Santa Maria", Zack refers to the 3 boats....

Tomahawk
Hatchet generally used by Native North Americans as a hand weapon and as a missile. The earliest tomahawks were made of stone, with one edge or two edges sharpened (sometimes the stone was globe shaped). The stone was fastened to a wooden handle in various ways, such as by putting the stone into a hole through the wood, tying the stone to a handle with thongs, or splitting the handle and tying it about the stone with thongs.

These missiles are made in a factory propedy of Bush father, the ex-President George Bush, and was the official missile of the golf war, the Afganistan, and the Iraq wars...

Zapatista
People native to the Chiapas region of mexico. In early 1994 several towns in Chiapas were briefly occupied during an uprising by peasants, who remain on the socioeconomic and political margins in the state. Armed conflict was brief, but the rebels (the Zapatista National Liberation Army) have continued to press for greater autonomy for all of Mexico's indigenous communities, and there have been sporadic outbreaks of violence.

Actually, the Zapatistas are ONLY the members of the Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional (EZLN), and it was taken the after how the members of the army of Zapata was called.... So not all native are Zapatistas and not all Zapatistas are natives, like the Sub-commander Marcos that is from Spanish ancestry.....

This post has been edited by AllPowerToThePeople: Jul 24 2004, 05:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Killsteel
post Dec 18 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #27

Junior Activist

Member No.: 2,883

Hey man, brilliant post, got something to say about the fourth reich though.

Nazi Germany was the third reich, or empire. I have no clue what the first and second reichs were, though, or whether they are strictly germanic or referring, for example, to the Roman and British empires. It makes sense that the USA is referred to as the fourth reich, because it, in a sense, is like the latest authoritarian empire.

+Quote Post
AllPowerToThePeo...
post Mar 22 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #28

Street Fighting Man

Thanks smile.gif.

And about the fourth reich, well, look for it, writers used to refer Bush family...

--------------------

+Quote Post
EZLN libertad
post Mar 24 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #29

master's apprentice

Member No.: 2,537

hey i just learned about the manifest destiny 2 days ago in history

yeah they also thought that because Santa Anna wouldnt sell texas and shit, that he was against god wishes or something

--------------------
Entertain the thought that we are still alive
Entertain the notion of impending doom
Entertain our worst suspicions and our fears
Just pull us in and take us down

+Quote Post
AllPowerToThePeo...
post Mar 24 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #30

Street Fighting Man

Well The US goverment made Santa Anna sign the paper, the asshole prefer his live over the country.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2020 - 09:40 AM