Post #31

GRAPEFRUIT MOON

Group: Activist
Member No.: 357

Good, ah cosmic you so cool!
afro1.gif

--------------------
riot of words

What exactly are the great historical accomplishments of your race that makes you pround to be white? Capitalism? Slavery? Genocide? Sitcoms? Guns? War? Pollution? NAFTA? This is your fucking white-history my friend.
-Propagandhi

NATIONALISM ONLY BRINGS DEATH
NO BORDERS NO NATIONS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheShootingStar
post May 13 2003, 07:52 PM
Post #32

Freedom Advocate

Member No.: 352

QUOTE (cosmic @ May 14 2003, 01:54 AM)
If you're talking about the board, this has nothing to do with censoring nor will it ever be censored.

cosmic

No, I'm talkin about what people have been sayin in their posts... I'm sayin it seems like people are trying to tell you what and what not to say..

+Quote Post
cosmic
post May 13 2003, 08:01 PM
Post #33

Magneto, alpha(E/H)^2
Group Icon

Group: ZDLRNet Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (TheShootingStar @ May 13 2003, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (cosmic @ May 14 2003, 01:54 AM)
If you're talking about the board, this has nothing to do with censoring nor will it ever be censored.

cosmic

No, I'm talkin about what people have been sayin in their posts... I'm sayin it seems like people are trying to tell you what and what not to say..

I don't think they're trying to tell people what too say, its just that this topic is so polar. Either its really inapproprate to say or it has no meaning, its just a word. Given that...I havent heard the reason as to why the word "gay" has to be used? That's what I don't get. Is there a root meaning?

cosmic

--------------------

Classic

+Quote Post
TheShootingStar
post May 13 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #34

Freedom Advocate

Member No.: 352

QUOTE (cosmic @ May 14 2003, 04:01 AM)
Either its really inapproprate to say or it has no meaning, its just a word. Given that...I havent heard the reason as to why the word "gay" has to be used? That's what I don't get. Is there a root meaning?

cosmic

Gay meaning.. Not cool...

+Quote Post
seditious beats
post May 14 2003, 12:15 AM
Post #35

El Broma ¡BOO!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 42

QUOTE (RATM-EZLN @ May 14 2003, 01:47 AM)
maybve cuzz its shorter than homosexual? or..cuzz....i dunno...how does "thats straight" sound..?..i dunno..cuzz maybe the "normal" thing (even though i think normal is a stupid word) would be for some1 to be heterosexual..and being gay..not normal...there for... saying "thats gay" could mean..like "thats not normal", i dont know, its just a word.

read this to yourself again. she's not asking why the word is used to identify homosexuality, but why it's the chosen word to say something's not cool. no, it's not just a word. your name is not just a word by which you identify yourself with, seen?

--------------------
deep s.p . a . . c . . . e

+Quote Post
Sara
post May 14 2003, 02:21 AM
Post #36

Sunny Sunflower

Member No.: 3

^ exactly, it's not about using it to describe someone's sexuality like saying straight.

the topic is bout why use it to mean cheap or ugly, as in use it in a sense which in theory it doesn't represent.

so far, all u guys are saying is "freedom of speech" and "gay is not cool" what...? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Reina, reina de mi vida Llena mi reino de alegria Tiene brillo en su mirada Goza de belleza consagra

+Quote Post
Radisshu
post May 14 2003, 05:10 AM
Post #37

Radish Anarchist

Member No.: 286

er, i gotta confess i use the swedish word for 'gay' as an insult, but only towards those who dislike gay people.. cause they get mad. i have nothing against homosexuals.

--------------------
revolution is impossible if the majority isn't for it. first we need to make them realize.

+Quote Post
Moremi
post May 14 2003, 05:36 AM
Post #38

I what do! Eat drums!

Member No.: 26

What I would like to know is, why do people get so bent out of shape when someone uses the word "gay" and no one says anything when someone uses the word "nigga" ????? The word "nigga" from my point of view is far more derogatory than the word "gay" which has meanings other than homosexuality.

When "nigga" was used on this board no one complained. No one started a thread about it. unsure.gif From what I remember, the only people who spoke up were myself and Sarah. A few other things that were clearly prejudice remarks about blacks have been made and again, not a peep. So, I guess it's ok to offend an entire group of people as long as it's not your group? Or a group you identify with? huh.gif

I agree with Manifest about the hypocrisy in this argument.

People will argue that nigga has a different meaning in hip hop culture, well so does gay. If one is acceptable here, why isn't the other?

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
seditious beats
post May 14 2003, 10:57 AM
Post #39

El Broma ¡BOO!

QUOTE (ZDLRfan @ May 14 2003, 01:36 PM)
What I would like to know is, why do people get so bent out of shape when someone uses the word "gay" and no one says anything when someone uses the word "nigga" ?????

because we're talking about the word "gay" here.

The word "nigga" from my point of view is far more derogatory than the word "gay" which has meanings other than homosexuality.

it's not about which is more/less offensive.

When "nigga" was used on this board no one complained. No one started a thread about it. unsure.gif  

i'll speak for myself and say i didn't see it.

From what I remember, the only people who spoke up were myself and Sarah. A few other things that were clearly prejudice remarks about blacks have been made and again, not a peep.

again, i missed it, i don't read through the threads as thoroughly, i guess. and what's up with the "me and sarah" all the time?

So, I guess it's ok to offend an entire group of people as long as it's not your group? Or a group you identify with? huh.gif

i'm gay? news to me.

People will argue that nigga has a different meaning in hip hop culture, well so does gay. If one is acceptable here, why isn't the other?

has anybody argued about the meaning of "nigga" in hip hop culture here?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moremi
post May 14 2003, 12:31 PM
Post #40

I what do! Eat drums!

QUOTE (seditious beats @ May 14 2003, 02:57 PM)
because we're talking about the word "gay" here.

Really? ohno.gif Thanks for pointing out the obvious. But other people have mentioned in their argument that saying "gay" is just as offensive as saying "how hispanic", etc. and the need to be sensitive towards a persons race, gender and sexual preference. So race was already injected in this discussion. I'm really not interested in trying to convince anyone why it's relevant that this is an issue and other inflamatory remarks have not been. It's relevant to me.

it's not about which is more/less offensive.

I never said it was about that. I just find it odd that I don't see this type of response to other words that are just as derogatory. I also find it odd that we have cartman.gif kenny.gif as emoticons yet we're criticisizing someone for using the word gay. Come on people, South Park? You just don't get any further from political correctness than that.

i'll speak for myself and say i didn't see it.

If you didn't see, then I'm not talking about you, am I?

again, i missed it, i don't read through the threads as thoroughly, i guess. and what's up with the "me and sarah" all the time?

What in god's name are you talking about? unsure.gif

i'm gay? news to me

I never said you or anyone else was gay. You don't have to be apart of a group to identify with its cause, struggle, etc.

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
Radisshu
post May 14 2003, 01:18 PM
Post #41

Radish Anarchist

Member No.: 286

well, if everyone were politically correct, where the fuck would humour be? seriously! as long as i don't say "KILL ALL GAY PEOPLE!(/black, white, asian, etc...)" a little joking doesn't hurt anyone, if the people of that particular "group" (although i say 'fuck groups', be an individual) can laugh as well... well, there'll always be more or less sensitive people, but screw them. or..er.. well, it's kind of impossible for me to be too sensitive, sorry =P... (maybe it's because of those damn old viking relatives or sumthin)

--------------------
revolution is impossible if the majority isn't for it. first we need to make them realize.

+Quote Post
Mirylla
post May 14 2003, 01:54 PM
Post #42

Urban Guerrilla

Member No.: 96

QUOTE (Radisshu @ May 14 2003, 10:18 PM)
well, if everyone were politically correct, where the fuck would humour be? seriously! as long as i don't say "KILL ALL GAY PEOPLE!(/black, white, asian, etc...)" a little joking doesn't hurt anyone, if the people of that particular "group" (although i say 'fuck groups', be an individual) can laugh as well... well, there'll always be more or less sensitive people, but screw them. or..er.. well, it's kind of impossible for me to be too sensitive, sorry =P... (maybe it's because of those damn old viking relatives or sumthin)

I noticed how you said "if the people of THAT particular "group" ", you didn't say ANY particular group, does it include your own group?
Anyway, those kind of jokes are usually funny when used by the same group or by friends. If not, they aren't generally welcome...
Another important thing besides free speech... RESPECT!!!

ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Moremi
post May 14 2003, 02:07 PM
Post #43

I what do! Eat drums!

Those are all very good points M...very true wink.gif

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post
seditious beats
post May 14 2003, 02:43 PM
Post #44

El Broma ¡BOO!

we're dancing around the question that still has not been answered. why are these words being used? others say it, so one says it, too? i think that's it. responsibility, respect, etc... where do they come into play? maybe "freedom of speech" is used as an excuse for irresponsibility, negligence? "freedom" is misused.

ed did it: south park is a pretty intelligent show, believe it or not. there's always something thought-provoking to the said or insinuated. these kids grow up in the burbs, out of touch. when it's used for humor sometimes, it's to point out and make obvious a problem by exaggerating, but when the word is just used as another word in one's vocabulary, that's obviously not the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moremi
post May 14 2003, 02:57 PM
Post #45

I what do! Eat drums!

QUOTE (seditious beats @ May 14 2003, 06:43 PM)
we're dancing around the question that still has not been answered.  why are these words being used?  others say it, so one says it, too?  i think that's it.  responsibility, respect, etc... where do they come into play?  maybe "freedom of speech" is used as an excuse for irresponsibility, negligence?  "freedom" is misused.

Well, I can't speak for everyone but I don't think it's always an excuse. Sometimes, it depends on the individual saying it. Sometimes, it has to do with the environment you come from. I choose not to use certain words but I'm not always offended when others use them because there is an understanding of what is being said.

ed did it: south park is a pretty intelligent show, believe it or not. there's always something thought-provoking to the said or insinuated. these kids grow up in the burbs, out of touch. when it's used for humor sometimes, it's to point out and make obvious a problem by exaggerating, but when the word is just used as another word in one's vocabulary, that's obviously not the same.

So says you. That show is full of stereotypes against gay people, blacks and the mentally disabled. It's offensive! And why is it acceptable to you when a character on South Park says "that is so gay" but here it's an insult?

--------------------
Efin ni iwa; o ma nru.

\o/

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2020 - 04:20 AM